If There Were No Nicotine in Pipe Tobacco...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
72 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I have perfected a process to cure lettuce ? in various ways. I can air cure, flue cure and fire cure lettuce. I am casing them with sugar solution, and top some of them with various flavors like vanilla, cherry ? etc. I can even press them in a barrel, so it cures in its natural juices. I see a ready market here, who will smoke it in a pipe!
I asked my rabbit if he's interested but he said he'll wait until you can do this with Pak Choi.

• Haha
Reactions: cshubhra

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
The same answer for cigars, it's a resounding hell yes. I just like the taste, I go weeks without a smoke every now and again, and don't feel a craving for it.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
The problem isn't really nicotine however, it's the delivery method. Smoking cigs is the worst thing because you inhale them so much and get so much nicotine, combined with all the tar and chemical crap. It's a train wreck. Pipes and cigars however, and yes even vaping, are so much healthier by comparison. You don't inhale pipe or cigar smoke nearly was much, even for those of us who do occasionally inhale. Vapes do hit the lungs and have their own risks but the lack of chemicals and tar makes this option much much safer than cigarettes.

We approach tobacco regulation so backwards that we look for ways to ignore cigarettes and the harm they do. It would be far more beneficial to simply ban cigarettes and leave the other tobacco products and vaping to fill the void. Big Tobacco already controls the majority of vaping anyway and the other two are either a part of that or established in their own right.

I'm sorry for the rant and I'm trying not to be political. I just have been thinking about this recently and wanted to express my thoughts. Nicotine isn't really the issue when it comes to smoking. In the UK the NHS has reported a lot of success in using vaping to get people off smoking cigarettes. Pipes worked for me and I've noticed a huge difference in my health. But I still want the nicotine and the experience of tobacco. I don't think we should worry about vaping or flavored products. We ought to just say no to big tobacco and cigarettes. Get rid of those things and you'll see a lot less attacks on tobacco usage.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I came to say I'd still smoke a pipe as long as they taste like they do. I'd just find another nic fix. But it seems kind of glib after OneGoodBulldog, who is also missing out on the taxation revenue aspect of the regulations on cigarettes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Get rid of those things and you'll see a lot less attacks on tobacco usage
Makes me wonder what percentage of tobacco sales go to the cigarette market. If it's high enough, ceasing cigarette production may be disastrous enough to put producers out of business leaving all tobacco users out in the cold.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The problem isn't really nicotine
So, we should ignore all of the carcinogens from the incineration of the tobacco plus, the nicotine shouldering aside the oxygen in our blood. One should simply accept the entire package that comes with taking all of the constituent negatives into our systems. The hoops many of us jump through to justify our selfish choices are amazing. You can mentally reject the negatives but, they are still there, being absorbed. Simply accept the poisons we subject our bodies to and enjoy the pipe. Be honest with yourself, sit back, put flame to weed and let the processes run their gamut while enjoying the experience. Risk v. reward!

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
“I don’t smoke for the nicotine” is the new “I only read Jiggly Juggs Magazine for the insightful articles” as far as I’m concerned. Might as well fill your pipe with potpourri, dried lettuce, or pencil shavings in that case.

Thing about nicotine, if you’re feeling it, it’s too much. If you’re feeling pleasantly calm and not swaying on your feet or feeling lightheaded, it’s just the right amount. If you’re sucking on your pipe to the point where there’s stretch marks on the back of your head, it’s not enough.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
“I don’t smoke for the nicotine” is the new “I only read Jiggly Juggs Magazine for the insightful articles” as far as I’m concerned. Might as well fill your pipe with potpourri, dried lettuce, or pencil shavings in that case.

Thing about nicotine, if you’re feeling it, it’s too much. If you’re feeling pleasantly calm and not swaying on your feet or feeling lightheaded, it’s just the right amount. If you’re sucking on your pipe to the point where there’s stretch marks on the back of your head, it’s not enough.
actually I've smoked wild lettuce it's a decent analgesic and helps with sleep (not much more then something like chamomile tea.)

Reactions: Misanthrope

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
So, we should ignore all of the carcinogens from the incineration of the tobacco plus, the nicotine shouldering aside the oxygen in our blood. One should simply accept the entire package that comes with taking all of the constituent negatives into our systems. The hoops many of us jump through to justify our selfish choices are amazing. You can mentally reject the negatives but, they are still there, being absorbed. Simply accept the poisons we subject our bodies to and enjoy the pipe. Be honest with yourself, sit back, put flame to weed and let the processes run their gamut while enjoying the experience. Risk v. reward!
nicotine doesn't displace oxygen any more then well something like food or any other drug. Now carbon monoxide bonds really solidly to red blood cells and has a very real effect on oxygen blood levels. The thing is you have to inhale it to get it into your blood stream. So basically a pipe is safer then a cig by a very large amount. Still a risk to reward equation but not as ridiculous of one. Nicotine is about as bad for you as caffeine. There is a reason that tobacco wasn't demonized as a killer (bad for you? yes! Unhealthy and gross? Yes! Killer? No!) until after cigs became the number one way to go. One of the most fun things I ever got to do with statistics was to compare cancer rates by counties in PA with sales figures for different tobacco products. And honestly the difference between the cancer rates per capita in the counties that people mainly smoked cigarettes and the ones where any other tobacco products where the main sellers was astonishing. Like half a person out of a thousand a year too several hundred a year astonishing. Honestly it was pretty clear cut. Cigarettes are a lot more morbid then almost any other form of tobacco (there are a couple oral tobaccos used in some places that are also killers. Usually what else is added to them, like betel nut.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
A lot of dip is owned by big tobacco and Dark Fired is primarily grown for smokeless tobacco. The fall of cigarettes would probably take chewing blends and Dark Fired with it.
You might be right but I personally think if cigs disappeared a lot more people would chew. The thing is a lot of people in big tobacco also seem to think the same thing. It's why they're coming up with more types of smokeless tobacco then the market really justifies, including those nicotine pouches without tobacco. Those are basically insurance against things like tobacco being banned or become socially too unacceptable.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Would that theoretical lack of nicotine in tobacco mean that many pipe smokers would turn to kitchen gardening in order to harvest the leaves off their tomato plants, and curing them for adding as a condiment to their pipe tobaccos to get that nic hit?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't choose a blend for nicotine. I don't have cravings when I take time off from smoking. Still, I suppose there is a sort of attraction to the occasional nicotine buzz, though I doubt the absence of that would make me not smoke. I have to drink decaf coffee for various reasons related to health and mood, and I don't like it as well, but I still want hot coffee with breakfast.