Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interestingly, some of the best hunters, many of whom relied almost exclusively on meat protein in their diets, expressed the most developed and profound reverence toward their prey animals, including prayers to them, apologies to them, and relating to them as spiritual totems. These were people who were intimately joined to the prey and realized the totality of their dependence. Japanese fisherman hold a service for their catch on specific holy days. They would never think of distancing themselves from the inner lives of the creatures.

Interestingly, some of the best hunters, many of whom relied almost exclusively on meat protein in their diets, expressed the most developed and profound reverence toward their prey animals, including prayers to them, apologies to them, and relating to them as spiritual totems. These were people who were intimately joined to the prey and realized the totality of their dependence. Japanese fisherman hold a service for their catch on specific holy days. They would never think of distancing themselves from the inner lives of the creatures.
Yep, I’ve always said that if we become a part of the spirit of the animals we eat, then that explains why fast food eating Americans are so dumb that you could hunt them with a hammer. puffy

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Sure, I like vegetables... but I like meat too. I guess that makes me a flexitarian. I don’t eat meat on Fridays during Lent. Does that count ?

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
BROBS it's good to see you around, and nice to have some diversity in our personal lives.

It's hard to spread ideas by mashing buttons on a cellphone, but I believe the whole moderation thing I mentioned is key on that "20% of Environmental pollution" stat coming way down.

People, in general, definitely need to have a higher portion of their diets come from veggies if they care about the health of a whole lot of things.

I think there's alot of crap meat and meat products out there. Call me spoiled/pretentious, but I try to only eat meat that is hunted or higher quality.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It makes you an omnivore like the rest of the human race. Those who chose to eat according to fad diets are still omnivores, designed as such no matter what they proclaim, pseudoscience aside.
Prove that a human is meant to eat meat. Doctors disagree with you. I’ll listen to a doctor over a chubby furry fellow.

• Haha
Reactions: STP

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I also want to throw in that I am 38, and recently for a checkup the doctor did a blood test. I was off the charts good on all levels of items considers positive, and off the radar of items they consider negative. So take that as you will. ?

At my age my dad was on BP and Cholesterol meds. My BP and Cholesterol (bad) are golden. Why?
I wasn't as lucky in the genetics dept. My cholesterol was over 200 when I weighed 195 and worked out 6 days a week including several hours of cardio. By the time I was 40 my cholesterol was something like 360. The Dr. prescribed me a pill, and my cholesterol has been around 130 for the past 13 years. I think of it as a "better living through chemistry" kind of thing.

Speaking of the genetic crapshoot... I recently found out that I'm not a candidate for colon cancer! Woo-hoo!

Reactions: beefeater33
I wasn't as lucky in the genetics dept. My cholesterol was over 200 when I weighed 195 and worked out 6 days a week including several hours of cardio. By the time I was 40 my cholesterol was something like 360. The Dr. prescribed me a pill, and my cholesterol has been around 130 for the past 13 years. I think of it as a "better living through chemistry" kind of thing.

Speaking of the genetic crapshoot... I recently found out that I'm not a candidate for colon cancer! Woo-hoo!
Good, the urologist told me that it would not be my prostate that kills me. But, the jury is still out on my colon.

• Wow
Reactions: gerryp and JOHN72

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Prove that a human is meant to eat meat. Doctors disagree with you. I’ll listen to a doctor over a chubby furry fellow.
I don't think they are meant to eat only meat, and being omnivorous would be an advantage for our species in terms of survival. Meat is more calorie dense, another survival plus. Fortunately we have the luxury of widely available, plant-based foods that are plentiful year-round for those who hate themselves (?) and starving to death isn't as much of a concern.

Side note: Once I saw a documentary about a guy who was doing a solo climb of either Everest or K2 without oxygen. Not an easy feat. At one point he was in his tent eating "dinner", or whatever meal, which consisted of a tub of butter that he was eating by the spoonful.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't think they are meant to eat only meat, and being omnivorous would be an advantage for our species in terms of survival. Meat is more calorie dense, another survival plus. Fortunately we have the luxury of widely available, plant-based foods that are plentiful year-round for those who hate themselves (?) and starving to death isn't as much of a concern.

Side note: Once I saw a documentary about a guy who was doing a solo climb of either Everest or K2 without oxygen. Not an easy feat. At one point he was in his tent eating "dinner", or whatever meal, which consisted of a tub of butter that he was eating by the spoonful.
I think that the ancient expeditions consume lots of animal butter.............essential for extreme cold survival yes......

Reactions: gerryp
I don't think we were meant to eat anything in particular, but historically, it's only been feasible to be vegetarian for a little over a hundred years. That is 100 years out of 80,000 years existence on this planet. Not everyone has had access to land and an environment that was conducive to growing vegetables. And, most places only had a growing season of about 3-4 months, with no way to preserve foods. So, without the modern technology to can foods under pressure or freeze them, vegetarians would have starved to death.
But, humans have had to get creative. Native Americans were suffering from a deficiency of many vitamins by the lack of access to many vegetables till they learned to add lye to corn to make hominy and grits.
Kale and derivatives in the Brassica family helped many Europeans get certain vitamins and minerals throughout winter months, giving us turnips, broccoli, mustards and such...

It definitely wouldn't have been feasible or even possible to be a vegetarian in many areas of the world more than 100 years ago.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I’ll listen to a doctor over a chubby furry fellow.
But, only the doctors who disagree with me regarding man being built to eat most everything, an omnivore? Very selective. Hell, all I need to do is look at our dental construction to understaqnd we are designed to eat what we can catch, kill, dig up, and/or pick from low branches. Some make a choice to try and survive exclusively veggies. My response is, "Who cares? You don't need me to validate your lifestyle. But, please do not extol your choice as being any better than mine. Revel in your choice and leave the revered pig for me and my ilk.

I see my choice of head gear and foot wear have raised your hackles. Wolf good! Wolf warm! I learned that from Alaskan Natives. They revere the wolf so much that they hunt them down, trap them and sell the pelts to furriers who made my winter survival wear. A tip of the hat to the wolf. God bless the wolf and the pig.
That is 100 years out of 80,000 years existence on this planet
North American aborigines were driving bison over the cliffs in great numbers more than a century ago. They did it for food, clothing, and etc. Aborigines in Alaska were killing, eating mastodons many years ago as well as flora and fauna.

I suspect, like many remote tribes today, man eats what is necessary to survive and we've morphed from little nothings in the sea to a creature very well designed to be omnivores not, herbivores or carnivores. If Brobs wishes to live on cattle graze, more power to him but, man isn't designed to only order off the salad side of the menu.

If you find a doctor who denies man can eat most anything, omnivore, I'd bet he's a medico with an agenda, selling someone's diet. He may be a fan of the plant based diet but, if he denies man is designed to eat what is available ... well, he's rather uninformed as to what incisors, K-'s 9's, etc are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.