PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
My wife and I have been slowly been moving towards a more vegetarian diet. Mostly for weight loss/health reasons but also to save money and to try to be a little “greener”. We tend to cook more Asian/South Asian veg dishes because they have full spices and flavors that actually taste good and don’t try to mask or trick you into eating vegetarian like so many western dishes.

I guess my ultimate goal would be to become a “facultative vegetarian”, not cooking/eating any meat at home (with the exception of the occasional fish dish) but still eating meat if we’re on vacation somewhere or we’re at someone’s house for dinner and that’s what they serve. We both still enjoy meat, plus I live in West Texas and have access to Ribeyes/BBQ that are a near religious experience.

So how do you do it? I enjoy the food and variety, but find myself getting hungry later at night and often end doing some midnight snacking. Usually something crappy and unhealthy . This happens even when we have plant proteins via tofu, beans/dal. What’s the deal?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't think of food in those terms at all. I can eat a vegetarian meal, but I don't think of it that way. It's just food.
I would never consider an alternative to cow milk on my cereals, just because something is "vegetarian" and cow milk is not.
I do eat lots of salads and whole grain and all, but whether or not there are animal products in the dressing is no concern at all.
I like my food to be tasty, healthy and filling, and preferably locally produced.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My wife and I have been slowly been moving towards a more vegetarian diet. Mostly for weight loss/health reasons but also to save money and to try to be a little “greener”. We tend to cook more Asian/South Asian veg dishes because they have full spices and flavors that actually taste good and don’t try to mask or trick you into eating vegetarian like so many western dishes.

I guess my ultimate goal would be to become a “facultative vegetarian”, not cooking/eating any meat at home (with the exception of the occasional fish dish) but still eating meat if we’re on vacation somewhere or we’re at someone’s house for dinner and that’s what they serve. We both still enjoy meat, plus I live in West Texas and have access to Ribeyes/BBQ that are a near religious experience.

So how do you do it? I enjoy the food and variety, but find myself getting hungry later at night and often end doing some midnight snacking. Usually something crappy and unhealthy . This happens even when we have plant proteins via tofu, beans/dal. What’s the deal?
You aren’t eating enough fiber with the protein in your meals if you are getting hungry so often. Also try eating more small meals. Instead of a big dinner eat 2/3 and the 1/3 later at night.

my wife and I have been vegan for 7+ years so if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

you won’t find a lot of love here ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I also want to throw in that I am 38, and recently for a checkup the doctor did a blood test. I was off the charts good on all levels of items considers positive, and off the radar of items they consider negative. So take that as you will. ?

At my age my dad was on BP and Cholesterol meds. My BP and Cholesterol (bad) are golden. Why?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have friends from Taiwan who, for religious reasons, are vegetarians. They’re Daoists. “Merciful Hearts”

I’ve eaten many delicious meals with them. The meal preparation time is a tough hurdle. But if I could eat the meals they prepared?

Me personally, I eat one meal per day, around 4pm. Since I’m getting all of my nutrients in one meal, I need balance and Protein is too important. Besides, if we weren’t meant to eat animals, then why do they taste like meat?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As long as it harms no one else, you should eat what you want, smoke what you want and do what you want. I happen to think balance and moderation are the keys to success in most things. Learning that BROBS is a vegan inspired me to put a large ribeye on the menu for dinner tomorrow night.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I was vegetarian for 6 months years ago and gained weight. I had surgery and wasn't clotting. I was confused because I read a couple books and was monitoring Fe, protein, Zn, calories etc. I started eating meat again.

The only way I could see doing it would be to pretty much eat Indian every day. Salads n stuff don't do it for me at all. But this is a problem because the wife farts just looking at a legume. We can both eat meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.