Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Just Took My Cat To The Emergency Room

(96 posts)
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

HIs name is Monet he is 3.5 years old. He has pneumonia and I have no idea how a cat that never goes outside can get that, but his lungs have fluid in them. My wife and I were traveling over Christmas and had a cat sitter here, he is a cat person and I'm sure this isn't a result of anything that he did. But we returned home to a kitty boy who wouldn't eat, was lethargic, with shallow quick breathing. They are keeping him probably until Thursday, he is in an oxygen cage and is on IV fluids. The doc gave us a 50/50 chance that he will make it. I'de appreciate your prayers guys. My wife and I don't have kids, can't have kids, so we have cats. Here is a pic of him, he is the one on the right.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's a beautiful cat.I hope things go well with him.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. rockymtnsmoker

rockymtnsmoker

Login to Send PM

Poor little kitty. Wishing you and your family all the best. We had to take our Bully pup to the emergency vet over the holidays, too. Thought she'd perforated an intestine (blood coming out her arse) but the vet put her on antibiotics and she seems to be much better. Hope you have a similar outcome.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope your cat can be home soon. The vet's office is the best place to have the medications given since your cat can be monitored as well. I will keep your family in my prayers. Happy New Year a bit early.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave, I am so sorry. We have two cats as well and my wife and I don't have any kids either, so they are our kids too. I hope Monet pulls through and wil pray for you guys.

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In our prayers buddy I know what both our dog and cat mean to us so I feel your pain. Let's hope the outcome is the good 50%

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

It's always sad news when one of the family is ailing.
    Best wishes for a speedy, happy outcome.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wishing you and Monet the best.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

Hes young so I would think that would help alot with his fight. my wife lost her horse of 35 years to pneumonia over thanksgiving, but again he was old horse. Hang in there!! A good critter is a great friend!!

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That is awful, I'll hope for better news. Our cat sneezes every once in a while but you really don't think of cats as animals that get sick often.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sister refers to me as a cat magnet; I tend to have a cat or three, and am very close to them.
    So I can empathize, and I hope Monet pulls through. He looks like a fine cat, so alert and understanding.
    Be patient re-introducing him to his housemate-cat. The veterinary hospital smells really throws off the
    stay-home cat, I have learned. They aren't sure the cat coming home is the same one, they are so
    sensitive to smell. For people who understand them, cats are a powerful presence. (I also love dogs,
    and grew up with a fine water dog, but that's another story.)

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

My wife and I also do not have kids, but we have two black kitties that are like our kids, so I know what you're going through. Sending out wishes and prayers for Monet to make a swift recovery, and get back home soon.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's always sad news when one of the family is ailing.
    Some people do not understand the connection some of us have with our pets. They truly are like family to the wife and myself. Hope and pray things go well...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife, I hope your cat is home and resting comfortably in a few days. My wife and I also know the importance of furry kids, best wishes.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My hopes go out to Monet. Like others, we do not have kids, just pets. Dogs and cats. I would argue they are just about as needy as children in their care.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is terrible news. I dislike cats, but I wish yours all the best.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

Your cat Monet looks very much like my cat Peter.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's a handsome cat, I hope all is well with him.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As an animal lover who has lost many pets over the years, my thoughts and prayers go out to you. Here's hoping your furry family member pulls through. Do let us know how he is doing.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope he makes it. My wife has pneumonia right now and the crazy woman is still going to work.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. 4dotsasieni

4dotsasieni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We just learned that apparently cats can catch the flu from humans, which can lead to pneumonia. Whether that's the case or not, our cats (and we) are wishing yours a full and speedy recovery.

"Thus shall you view these fleeting worlds: As bubbles in the stream;
    A lightning flash, a puff of smoke, a phantom, and a pipe dream."
    - The Diamond Sutra (slightly edited for pipe smokers)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bummer, prayers sent your way, I hope you get your cat back home soon, and your wallet survives the ordeal..them buggers can really rack up a vet bill.

Something going on with my Dane/ Mastiff, went to bed last night she went diarrhea everywhere upstairs on our carpeted floors, came down stairs to two pools of urine and three piles of diarrhea.
    Went to bed smelling it, woke up smelling it...large breeds have their downside.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck Dave, sorry to hear it, prayers sent.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

doctoronln9

Login to Send PM

I'm real sorry. He looks exactly like my cat, who came out of the ER himself last month, so this hits home. Best of luck to him.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

As a cat man, I get the fear you must be facing. I don't pray for various reasons, but i'll certainly think and hope for both you and your cats.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear this ... lost a great dog back in August.

My thoughts and wishes are with you and your family.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My three monsters and I are sending good thoughts Monet's way Shain.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys for alll of your comments, thoughts, and prayers. Update on Monet. It has been an emotional rollercoster for us today. Talked to the doctor early. Monet went into respitory arrest this morning and essentially died. The vet did CPR and revived him. They assigned him a tech for one on one care and watched him carefully for about 4 hours until they felt he was stable. He is currently stable and they are giving him antibiotics to fight off his infection, diuretics to try and purge the fluid in his lungs, and a pain medication that helps to calm him. He is in an oxygen cage. If they can get the fluid off of his lungs he will have a strong chance, so we are praying about that and waiting, which is excruciating. Monet is a big cat and has always been very healthy. He trots around here like a little horse and the place feels empty without him. Thanks again guys for the support.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Positive thoughts can help the healing; don't waste a moment thinking about negative outcomes. He'll pull through and be back home with you in no time.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave, my family has Monet in their hearts and thoughts that he will soon be back home and well. Please keep us updated.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dave, my wife is a vet, and she's impressed with the quality of care he's getting. Our prayers are with you and Monet.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still miss my cat, Therin. Died from kidney failure. We found him bloated like a water balloon (he just drank an insane amount of water, always a thin cat), took him to the vet and he was put to sleep on the spot. Being able to drink water but not process it is a pretty bad way to go. We had him since before I was born, died around when I hit 18 or so, a good 23 years.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  35. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about Monet. I hope is he is able to recover Dave. Thank you for the update and please let us know how things go.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a pet scare of my own last night. Right before I left for work, I was in the kitchen taking my meds. As I was taking my heartburn pill, I dropped one on the floor. My dog was right at my feet, and gobbled it up before I could stop him. I thought "well, there's nothing I can do now. I hope he'll be ok. " I had not been at work for half an hour when my wife called and said he was vomiting and crapping uncontrollably. My mother knows a veterinarian, so I told my wife to call my mom and see if she could get ahold of her vet friend. She did, and the get said it would most definitely make him sick, and maybe even depressed, but that it should not be fatal and that if he were still sick come morning to bring him in for treatment.
    Well, when I got home this morning I was greeted with a wagging, bouncing, licking dog! What a relief!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Dave, I hope all is well.
    Dan

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shaintiques:

Being a worrier -- and a cat lover -- myself, I tend to shy away from posts like yours. It isn't that I don't care. It's that I care too much. It breaks my heart when animals are ill or suffering in any way. But I realized I had to suck it up and share this burden with you. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through, but I want you to know you are very much in my thoughts and prayers. And I truly pray that Monet comes through this successfully and returns to full health. And I also pray that, somehow, he senses just how much he is being cared for by the people who love him.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope all works out for you and your family. Nothing but positve thougths and prayers for you and yours.

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you have a great vet, Monet is lucky. Hopefully he's doing better today.

Two years ago we lost our old Moochie, we now have an outside ferrel cat that doesn't let us touch him and hisses when we feed him. He's older than dirt, scroungy, and tough as nails, and if he doesn't show up on time for dinner, we start to worry about him. What is it about cats, that people either love them or definately don't?

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just love them because they are both very affectionate and very predatory. I find them really interesting, cuddly, and playful. They also don't slobber or smell like most dogs do. I do really love some dogs though, my brother picked the perfect one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

We have had two cats for over 13 years. They are brothers and one of them died last year from diabetes. The other is beginning to show signs of ailing now. It is hard to lose companions like them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all of the support guys. Just talked to the vet and he is responding to the treatments well. The Diuretics are working and the fluid is coming off of his lungs. They have begun the process of weaning him off of oxygen. He got so upset yesterday that he bit his tongue pretty hard and he isn't eating either because of the tongue or because he just doesn't have an appetite, but he has made huge progress overall. We have come from death and CPR to fluid receding and stability, all I can say is Praise God! So the next big thing for him is for his appetite to return. Thanks for your prayers and comments, it means a lot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super fantastic !! He'll be home soon and the house can get back To normal !

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So glad to hear it Shaintiques!

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very glad to hear he's doing better.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  46. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That is great news, hopefully the next update has Monet back home.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful news. I am so glad he is improving.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm hoping it is only a matter of time to get Monet home and back to his routine.
    Territory is fundamental to a cat's sense of wellbeing. Remember, his housemate
    cat may bristle and be hostile because of the strange vet hospital smell. He won't
    see it as the same cat, perhaps. You might keep them separate for a day or two,
    until Monet gets back his own smell, and pet the home-cat vigorously and transfer
    the smell to Monet by petting him "thoroughly." I know this sounds quirky, but
    cats "read the newspaper" with their noses; that is, they take in a lot of information
    by smell.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

That's great news! Here's hoping Monet gets to go home in a day or two!

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good news Dave. Believe it or not, the wife and I have been stressing a bit over this for you. Make no mistake, I love my cats. This is no something I can openly discuss with people who don't own cats. Get that weird look ya know!
    Glad to hear he is responding to treatment. Hope he is home soon.

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear Monet is doing better. Any idea of when he comes home?

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a champ. He'll pull through this. Voorhees, I've never really owned a cat (though I've cared for them) and I perfectly understand the attachment of cat owners to their cats. Dogs are my particular critter of choice, but I'm fond of all animals.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some psychologist did a study that hypothesized that cats are the most like
    people emotionally than any other animal. In fact, that may be why some people
    don't like cats, because they can't "do" the emotion. There's a whole sort of
    cat etiquette that you use to share space and company with cats, but if you do,
    they are really intensely social. They are independent and seem to "get cell phone
    calls" and march away from time to time, but many cats will follow you from room
    to room and participate in, or "supervise" most activities.

I love dogs, but you have to be there for them always. They are natural saints,
    many dogs, and I'm not sure I could ever travel if I had a dog. They give you
    their hearts. Cats merely share, in a discrete way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cats were worshiped as Gods by the Egyptians and it went to their heads. We have several, the wife is an intense animal lover, and you hit the nail on the head, mso.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mso489, that is so true. My cat Bailey seems to exist with me more than for me. I can enjoy being alone and like my quiet time. Much like cats. However, he is a constant companion, loving and in my lap one minute, to enjoying my company from a spot not far away the next. He is also quite large(16 lbs.), so playtime is fun as well. Of course until he tires and decides to nip me to let me know when enough is enough. I like that attitude in people as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He is still at the vet, but we got to see him today. He looked pretty good, his breathing is better and the fluid is coming off, but we gotta get rid of the pneumonia. They have lowered the oxygen they are giving him, but he is still in the special oxygen cage. But again he has come a long way and we have high hopes that he will recover. Also he bit his tongue when they gave him CPR and that may be affecting his eating. So for those of you praying, pray he eats, he hasn't had much all week. And pray the pneumonia dies. Thanks so much.

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I continue to watch this, hoping for progress while I continue to meditate and pray for Monet's recovery. Please continue to keep us apprised.

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do Dave, thanks for the update.

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

My wife and I are sending out good thoughts and wishes, and following this thread. Thank you for the updates.

MSO, you did describe the nature of cat cohabitation perfectly. They also, like people, have quite distinct personalities. Our two cats couldn't be more different in many ways.

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shaintiques, having lived with cats for decades and read quite a bit about their health and medical
    matters, I wonder if your Monet could be recovering from chemical instead of bacterial or viral
    pneumonia. I've read that cats can get pneumonia from, for example, spray cooking oil. Their
    lungs just don't clear substances well once inhaled. They are almost entirely nose breathers, and
    those nasal passages in most cats are incredibly small. This is not important as you resolve Monet's
    current illness, but might be useful in thinking about any exposures in the future.

houndstooth, that is the ringing truth, about cats having highly individual characters (maybe
    personality is the wrong term since they might be insulted to be compared to persons, lol).
    I have three cats, two brothers that are rescue cats that look like (but aren't) pedigree
    Maine Coons. The tabby loves to be patted and stroked a little when he's fed; the gray
    won't eat if being touched. That's just a small example. They are emotionally and physically
    more different than most human siblings, which can be so different too. For people who
    bond with felines, they are an exercise in differentiation. And they study us so closely and
    know many things about us that our spouse, parents, and closest friends do not, just from
    intense observation. Sometimes they know our emotions before we do. Uncanny. Many
    cats will attend a sick member of the family with devoted attention.

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good news

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good news!

I have a friend who has Type 1 diabetes and her cat knows before she does when she is about to crash.

Posted 5 years ago #
  63. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear it man. Got 2 old kitties myself so I get the attachment. Praying for you and your furry friend.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  64. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I have great news. First mso489 we thought about that and my wife and I tend to lean towards holistic medicine if we can especially when diagnosing things. The vet wasn't sure if it was viral, bacterial, or fungal, so we went to visit, took a hair and saliva sample and took it to our naturalpath. She said it came up viral and made up a remedy specific to his needs. My wife went up last night and gave it to him and this morning we were blown away when they took him off oxygen and he began eating. Woohoo two big answers to prayer, so we are hoping that we will get to bring him home either Sunday or Monday, thanks for all of the prayers and support guys!

Posted 5 years ago #
  65. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Now THAT is some good news!

Posted 5 years ago #
  66. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy to hear some good news!

Posted 5 years ago #
  67. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice to hear!

Posted 5 years ago #
  68. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Great news indeed. Really glad to hear it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  69. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fantastic news!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  70. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super! Super! Congrats sir to you, your wife and your family

Posted 5 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldtoby, ben88, lightxmyfire, hoosierpipeguy, warren, prairiedruid, bryans, redglow, lawayna, alan73, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell