Ye Olde Tobacconist Shoppe, The Way Things Once Were (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
So many wonderful pictures. Thanks. I especially enjoyed seeing the Fribourg & Trayer shop, closed about 40 years ago. The shopkeepers were well dressed, weren't they?

May 31, 2012
3K99OYr.jpg

BaMBUmA.jpg

jupI5CQ.jpg

EG8p1Ir.jpg

These pix are really interesting because of the nice interior shots, that wall of pipes with BBB, Barling's Make and Loewe's is a stunner, but if you look at the Masta display in the center of the bottom pic, you'll see those neat little price-tags they used to put in the bowls, pretty kewl.
Here's what those little tickets looked like,

as well as some other display material.

In this case, for Loewe.

YZDTN0F.jpg

pjuMH2p.jpg

V0FKiJt.jpg

NtFcIel.jpg

dyTdth4.jpg

NtW4tO6.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Murf (and anyone else who might be interested):
Early last year, I posted a link to a very brief (4min) audio/slide show that offers a first-person account of what "the smoking life" was like in the early part of the 20th century in England. Here's a link to that thread (which includes a link to the audio/slide show):
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-life-in-smoke#post-355003
The audio is fantastic, but the photos are also very much worth seeing. The speaker was an avid pipe smoker.
I re-listen to this every now and then. . . and try to imagine. . .
Bob

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Thanks a lot for such a great pictures. It's like a small piece of the heaven on the Earth :)

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks, bittner! Stuff like that reminds me of the old time radio show tapes my dad has. The advertisements boasted that doctors recommend brand X cigarette because they're good for your throat. I think he had shows from the 30's thru the 50's or so. I wonder if he's still got those

May 31, 2012
That's a great clip Bob,

thanks for pointing it out!
Especially cool because last month I watched Saturday Night and Sunday Morning,

and it was a wonderful flick!
Good stuff.

May 31, 2012
Found a few more...
...the most exciting of which is of the grooviest man ever to walk upon this earth,

Jimi Hendrix strolling by a Finlays.

W79kDQs.jpg

:!:
yU6wPGZ.jpg

a2DS0tn.jpg

Sq5DUvq.jpg

anSUsv4.jpg

4gc9qdT.jpg

HjbBkfb.jpg

xArAW3w.jpg

s9cufRA.jpg

2f4hMwy.jpg

CKBNvMB.jpg

9fA4fn9.jpg

Dr0Bjac.jpg

qwG9Xka.jpg

BPkXtoD.jpg

BCNJdFA.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Mesmerizing, the only word I can use to describe your pictorial. I wonder how many of those pipes pictured are now part of some of our estate collections?

Aug 14, 2012
Wonderful pictures. For me the best pipeshop was the old Dunhills on Fifth Ave in NYC, across the street from St. Patrick's Cathedral. The first floor was a pipeshop, the fourth floor a cigar store, and they sold a little clothing on the middle floors. Receipts and small items went up and down in a pneumatic tube. This had little to do with the NYC Dunhill store today, on Madison Ave, which is a clothing store.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I was fortunate to have lived in Manchester England in 1971. Tobacco shops were everywhere. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end." Love the picture of the tin shelf. I remember smoking so many of those blends.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
All this reminds me of a sat. at either Jacks' or Harriels pipe and cigar.Still have my grandfathers' last large tin of Edgeworth ready rubbed. Oh God, the pipes I sold or gave away. This is a great thread and I'll be thinking about it for days while I make more to sell and if the wife isn't looking one out of morta for me. So many memories. I teach as many young folks as I can about pipe smoking and would call that a golden age of memories in the making.I know you folks are doing the same. :puffpipe:

May 31, 2012
Notice the lower square sign,

"This is a Dunhill shop"

w5SsMjK.jpg

...getting harder to find these old pix,

KiY3i9s.jpg

S4QvX2i.jpg

A few in color...

iVm0eFW.jpg

4fjXquL.jpg

QPHDlNw.jpg

gDw1mVd.jpg

IDcLRbN.jpg

Talk about cool, these postcards used to come inside Samuel Gawith tins,

wow cool!

49616we.jpg

3gvdzT4.jpg

May 31, 2012
I have one of those post cards. Still smells like soap. Lol.
LOL

:P

I'd love to visit the Lakeland district.

I watched a Steve Coogan flick , The Trip , hoping for some good Gawith action,

but alas, it's more about Lakeland Lamb Stew rather than tobacco...

Lakeland-Lamb-Stew.jpg

...but there are great landscape scenes all from Northern England, and Coogan does some funny impersonations, especially of Michael Caine, the movie (it's a bit mundane, but I enjoyed it) was adapted from a tv show which I've never seen...I usually dislike Coogan, but he was okay in this movie.

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygxEPkufryI

:

:

...and, in other news,

found a few more baccyshop pix.
This one especially is pretty cool, a shop in Dublin, with a GBD showcard, and just sitting there all inconspicuous trying to hide itself is a Balkan Sobranie cutter top...

pAPqAp5.jpg

aJsdgg0.jpg

These cheerful ladies look like lovely people to interact with...

ywNr2bH.jpg

5RzTDHA.jpg

OysRZNU.jpg

2865lOg.jpg

kQ0wzGB.jpg

WtitYwP.jpg

2fTypqb.jpg

P7z6UOr.jpg

SC5sAPk.jpg

EcK3hAA.jpg

...and I came across a fancy tobacco cabinet:

DoDj69a.jpg

...and some more utilitarian style drawers:

2Apyt8M.jpg

Bd6ggjA.jpg

2JV5LQZ.jpg

fuaneOC.jpg

...I've always wanted an old tobacco token to pop tins with,

but they're usually too pricey to be had,

there's quite a few different ones out there, but this one is pretty awesome:

DXOyO10.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thank you misterlowercase, we all truly appreciate your time and effort in assembling these pictorials. As much as I love to view them, they make me somewhat meloncholic about what we, collectively, have lost. There is a dvd on the fly fishing manufacturer House of Hardy, it's called THE LOST WORLD OF MR. HARDY, it gives me the same mix if happiness at seeing these lost images and sadness, because that world is essentially gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.