Ye Olde Tobacconist Shoppe, The Way Things Once Were (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
H6YqDkP.jpg

I've been fascinated with finding images of old UK tobacconist shops, the windowdressing is unbelievably beautiful and provokes eye-popping awe, sadly, many of the shots are too far away to get a good close gaze, but you can still make out just how grand they once were.
I finally found the perfect example of a very well-dressed window, it was in Northern Ireland and it was full of Gallaher showmatter.

This display is jawdroppingly awesome!

ECA5v5N.jpg

Likewise, this Australian dressed-window would surely stop any pipeman in his tracks as he was walking down the street!

pNYMY2q.jpg

An example of showmatter that manufacturers offered the merchant, in this case, that of Barling:

TxKGioU.jpg

kcTYf7s.jpg

Here's an old Woolworths window:

fmUVGzV.jpg

Random Rathbone as Sherlock pic with prominent Peterson's baccypot on display:

qCwCSu8.jpg

And now off for a stroll down the old High Streets to see what we see.
T8161wz.jpg

inrD2nE.jpg

6FZxQoq.jpg

15tMyCw.jpg

YRbM09x.jpg

poSgzfK.jpg

nt9M3XJ.jpg

NGRMw8t.jpg

LN97gqe.jpg

LItYZsx.jpg

X7xbEub.jpg

k0HiW2g.jpg

9SxsLDw.jpg

3qg97EF.jpg

1ITT4gP.jpg

jw9PlzH.jpg

SjGvrd6.jpg

FTzuP9k.jpg

O0JGVRv.jpg

OGv6dYT.jpg

qayM0f4.jpg

q6MOR4S.jpg

gWJ8zAx.jpg

3hZcFS7.jpg

eaTXFbW.jpg

2sQdUUb.jpg

lz3yTh6.jpg

GRfKqJm.jpg

f936eTv.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for posting those Misterlowercase.

I thoroughly enjoyed those photos.
Also, I added a couple tags to help with searches in the future.

I think this one will be around a long time, and resurface in the future.

Excellent post!

:puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wonderful pics...thank you for those. Sad to think all of that is nearly extinct these days.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
That first photo reminds me of when I lived in New York in the late 1950's - early '60's. There was a tobacconist off Madison Square (I think it was on 23rd street) with a window chock-full of pipes, tobaccos, accessories, etc. and there would always be a crowd on the sidewalk trying to take in the huge variety of stock. Good times!
Thanks for posting.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for posting those wonderful photos! I remember my dad taking me into stores that looked like that, only not tobacco shops. (he didn't smoke) But I always loved the feel of the places. There seemed to be some pride in the job they were doing, and care in displaying their goods. I'm sure there are some stores like this somewhere today, but I'll bet they're far a few between. Nice trip down memory lane.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
What a wonderful blast from the past! Thanks misterlowercase.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Another excellent post ML, thanks for taking the time. To me, these photos represent the true Golden Age of pipe smoking. Imagine window shopping and seeing all those pipes displayed in a window. Sadly, those days are, for the most part, long gone.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Ah, its like I died an' went to heaven!

A Christmas feast for the eyes! Fit for a king!

What I wouldn't give to stroll down Jermyn St. with a few healthy bob in me pocketes.

I do live in the past. But what a good past it is. Thanks for the majik MrLC.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Wow, just wow thanks so much for that. I really enjoyed taking the time to wander down a memory lane I never lived through but wish I had.

K

klause

Troy, are you going to collect together all the amazing things you discover and put them into an archive?
The amount of amazing information and history you have uncovered and presented to us is simply astounding. You have given a whole new dimension to our pipe smoking.
Thank you, and, keep up the sterling work!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Great photos. I particularly like the first one with the servicemen window shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.