Ye Olde Tobacconist Shoppe, The Way Things Once Were (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
That glass case is amazing!
I agree.
It is quite tatty though,

I was surprised at the somewhat high price.
They are in high demand amongst the collectors because they are great for display purposes.
The Mitchell example on p.2 is in much better condition:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ye-olde-tobacconist-shoppe-the-way-things-once-were-image-heavy/page/2#post-684241
(possible resto work though, certainly a polish and paint instead of velvet lined draws, the recent example looked unmolested)
They rarely pop up on the 'bay and when they do they usually get alotta eyeballs glazing and hearts pounding and wallets opening!

:)

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
On a recent trip to London my wife and I were going through the shoppes at Covent Garden and I wandered upon an amazing (yet small) tobacconist shoppe. It had all the feel of an old time store with pipes and pipe boxes lined to the ceiling and glass jars of every type of tobacco you could think of. Quite an amazing view into the earlier days of tobacconists where these shops were commonplace. Just an amazing find! As a matter of fact before I left I bought myself a Peterson Churchill:)

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I spent hours on this thread. Great posts of some historic places.

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Thank you, what an amazing history of pipes and tobacco that may otherwise be lost to censorship. I especially enjoy seeing the old advertisements. These days the only shops in town that compare in grandeur sell glass pipes and green stink weed.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
This thread makes me think of those lines from a Jimmy Buffet song:
Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late.

The cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder

I'm an over forty victim of fate

Arriving too late, arriving too late.
Yes, I am a piper, one hundred years too late.

The stores don't sell tobacco, its all against the law

I'm an over 40 victim of fate

Arriving too late, arriving too late

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the new pics, Mrlowercase. It always makes my heart grow tender reviewing the past and its people. The folks took such pride of their shops. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
An old-time tobacconist was a more mature approach to tobacco use than having every convenience store and grocery sell cigarettes. Instead, you go to a place of knowledge, and learn about other options.
Our society claims to hate cigarettes, but loves them because they're an addictive little lift that pacifies people at their boring jobs.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Great pics. Loved the one of Chesterfield with the twisted church spire.
This thread prompted me to find a pic of Ron Hook's sweets and tobacconists shop in Monmouth, South Wales, from where I bought my first pipe in the early 1980's. It's not a great pic and doesn't show any detail unfortunately. The front half of the shop was for sweets and confectionery and the back half was for cigarettes and tobacco. The family still live in and around Monmouth but the shop has long since gone.
If anyone has seen the film "Zulu" with Michael Caine, there is a character in the film called "Hook" who was portrayed as a bit of a malingerer who happened to win the Victoria Cross. Ron Hook was his great nephew (I think - he may have been a great grandson). The character portrayed in the film was nothing like the real man as Hook was a career soldier with 23 years service and an honourable discharge from the Royal Fusiliers.

May 31, 2012
Thanks for sharing the pic and memories Bob!
That's alotta snow!

Yowza!
I remember Zulu, it's a great film --- shame though that they twisted the history and depicted Henry Hook in a bad light.
...here's a few more shoppes.
Y9IVson.jpg

Pre76f5.jpg

TwERnrW.jpg

4FjnUGx.jpg

pLwYyf0.jpg

b2z7DvB.jpg

oKbRXgT.jpg

RboExMB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.