Ye Olde Tobacconist Shoppe, The Way Things Once Were (image heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If we put our collective heads together, do you think we could come up with a time machine? It is a bit melancholy that world is lost to us. How would you like to stroll into a shop advertising "A Thousand Pipes"?

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Well done Troy - you've excelled yourself yet again!
To put all of this into context and to my eternal shame, contrast the pictures above to modern, nanny-state Britain, where from 6 April 2015 it will be illegal for any of the remaining businesses selling tobacco products to display tobacco products to the public. These laws were implemented in large stores (supermarkets &c.) in April 2015 - now it's the turn of the little guy.
http://www.smokefreeaction.org.uk/point-of-sale-display.html
Andy

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Looking at photos like these always leave me with mixed emotions but like a good car crash, I look on. Had there been any way for those folks of generations past to have forseen what eventualities were immenent for tobacco sales, they would have been the ones heart sick for us. Some of us are still fortunate enough to have a full service tobacconist shop to visit or work in and I for one hope they continue to survive and prosper.

May 31, 2012
Sadly, it is indeed a very lost world.
...and the display ban is is a farce generated by the damn'd powerful FCTC, and many kneel before them, such strict laws and high taxation only strengthen the black market and help fund the criminal element as well as terrorist organizations.
The aughts last go round in the 20thC was also heavily impacted by the temperance movement and the enactment of prohibition had lousy results...
...all the recent news buzz here about FDA + cigars + hooka is troubling, feels like an impending hammer is about to come down.

May 31, 2012
To deepest hell with the display ban!
I'm gonna inject some color here, so we can get a sense of just how jawdroppingly beautiful these well-dressed windows would have been in eye-popping vibrancy enough to stop you in your tracks and gaze lovingly...
...so here's abuncha the advertising material that was displayed in the windows and inside the shops.
PQLKC64.jpg

mJ6gWcO.jpg

UPoZFlJ.jpg

zK6LJsX.jpg

KBF4ex2.jpg

zqKMs2w.jpg

u6Pb2mG.jpg

teXy3RD.jpg

nXjWFoZ.jpg

8piEo2v.jpg

4PlVEfx.jpg

kWZcHqO.jpg

YOtmS9X.jpg

OGY8cT0.jpg

JOnneJ4.jpg

MwjqGRA.jpg

7mxP4fV.jpg

dZd28qP.jpg

muma9Dr.jpg

zURWDcQ.jpg

nbHM8Uy.jpg

LA04JJ6.jpg

tauDRCy.jpg

GbeHseU.jpg

0Sqt8Uk.jpg

bzniiNw.jpg

ccV6822.jpg

guNsCM1.jpg

ODUsAf2.jpg

PL74ZLA.jpg

dbvpyyC.jpg

31vCJdB.jpg

ZVwnbzs.jpg

Isvh4HJ.jpg

FBPwwdV.jpg

2k3lHPv.jpg

PjGU7Ly.jpg

zFjEpWo.jpg

srw14nG.jpg

jx9TbbQ.jpg

rj4BSGR.jpg

lQVwZcH.jpg

8XOBHvr.jpg

WUz2q7x.jpg

oYyo4NH.jpg

xEfSxOF.jpg

YtxvPxV.jpg

XxJNA1l.jpg

rtMhA11.jpg

cwpITB6.jpg

3wUaViG.jpg

punY1rq.jpg

8tTEcnK.jpg

ziUKUNA.jpg

7iWq906.jpg

st8rM24.jpg

DcQcKuy.jpg

foQZoso.jpg

T4gcglF.jpg

KHz2N4O.jpg

m9L6oNa.jpg

ARbx6fA.jpg

lYem0mQ.jpg

fPXOQTq.jpg

1BUjd1b.jpg

ovHJhTP.jpg

RHZ9HbZ.jpg

q4ckCqn.jpg

2Kxzmne.jpg

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Troy! Really interesting pictures that are a piece of history. Fascinating to see the guys shaving plug like he's slicing an apple!
Andy

May 31, 2012
:D

No doubt.
I've got a few different knives I use,

but I smoke so many plugs that I finally broke down and gotta proper cutter,

they can be found on the cheap, mine is a Yankee Slicer like this one:

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Troy, I just did a search on some old photos of Peretti's( Boston) and Leavitt and Peirce ( Cambridge) and there were quite a few. I grew up in Boston and used to go to those places with my dad in the 60's. Thanks for all the pics you posted, if you feel like posting more check out a search on them.
It is a shame most of these places no longer exist but at least Peretti and LP are still there. If anyone is ever in Boston, definitely make a trip to both.

May 31, 2012
Another nice old Stephen Mitchell baccy cabinet popped up for sale recently...
VwSq14s.jpg

y8ZbVDW.jpg

tfWsIpr.jpg

W6VQDjB.jpg

A few more from the famous Haymarket address of Fribourg & Treyer...
A good quick read about F&T here:

The Old Snuff House of Fribourg & Treyer at the Sign of the Rasp & Crown

https://archive.org/details/oldsnuffhouseoff00evaniala
VwsuFm0.jpg

Yze8TMU.jpg

1WLKy4L.jpg

fRrSLc0.jpg

fk0k0pO.jpg

...and F&T's Oxford location,

bSYNq2L.jpg

A slim few more oldtimey British shoppes...
iDgKDYv.jpg

xdIZj0P.jpg

RSRU2lP.jpg

q4hTZMb.jpg

yOzV3Qo.jpg

gxJ4DR4.jpg

88h9PNr.jpg

ScwZxQC.jpg

NNs8mck.jpg

qfMdXWW.jpg

hwQxFMW.jpg

Hb5gTjr.jpg

jK6yiyd.jpg

z2hD3wF.jpg

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Brilliant stuff yet again Mr LC.
I pass by the building that Purcell Ltd. was in fairly often. There is a short history of the building here, http://comeheretome.com/2012/06/16/stonework-of-lafayette-building/ , and a nice photo of the relief carving of the Purcell sign.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Awesome pics!! If I ever build my "smoke room", I'd love to make some 8x10 photos of these old shops and hang them on the walls.

May 31, 2012
:idea:
Thanks for highlighting the figure Al,

it is indeed wonderful!
The typical advertising figure for an olde tobacconist in England was a snufftaking Scottish Highland soldier of the British Army.
NZlTwAQ.jpg

ZF0ElsJ.png

irKKyJQ.jpg

9lYbkFd.jpg

x1Sxr5m.jpg

Although the "Red Indian" was most popular over here, the Highlander was used in the USA too...
HISoJr7.png

qcDxvx6.jpg

There was at one time a broad varied range of iconic figures in front of the tobacconist shop, but ultimately the "cigar store Indian" won out as the universal symbol.
These artifacts are now highly valued and command great sums of money, in most cases they're considered to be Folk Art.
tdZ4fRE.jpg

...like the baseball player that brought $15,000 back in 2001,

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/circa_1880_cigar_store_wooden_baseball_figure___-lot17290.aspx
...or this Demuth Punch figure that sold for $207,000 !!! in 2008,

http://news-antique.com/?id=784319
A good essay on the subject here,

The Image Business: Shop and Cigar Store Figures in America

by Ralph Sessions

http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/8aa/8aa544.htm
A great website here,

http://www.cigarstoreindians.com/

&

http://www.cigarstorefigure.com/
lt5XpAK.jpg

QMQo9V3.jpg

Z9p10FY.jpg

K

klause

Wow! Blast from the past!! I bought my first pipe in that Tobacconist in Coventry Garden - a clay George V figural (still smoke one) - I was 14 years old. I was mesmerised by the stunning meerschaums lining the wall behind the counter.
Returned a few years ago, while on a visit to London. Sadly, it had fewer meers, and fewer tobaccos. Still picked up a VERY nice house blend. Smoked the whole lit in 2 days wandering round London, in a nice old Karl Erik freehand.
To bring it up to date, I was visiting Belfast a few weeks ago and picked up some nice old estates at a market, for £2 a piece. One of these was a pipe produced for, and sold by, said Pipe Shoppe :)
Even with reduced inventory, that shop is an oasis in a world of bland, and has the power to transform me back into a spotty, snotty, schoolboy.
Cheers, Troy.

May 31, 2012
Cheers Jason,

what a great story there! I love that cobblestone sidewalk and the shop itself looks like a timewarp.
Even with reduced inventory, that shop is an oasis in a world of bland, and has the power to transform me back into a spotty, snotty, schoolboy.

:lol:

I hearya!

I'd get wobbly knees and start hopelessly drooling LOL
That's cool you got your first pipe when you were 14,

wish I had that much sense when I was a yungin!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.