PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
There used to be a large department store (C&A?) in Sheffield when I was a kid (early 70's) with an area set aside by the entrance where a lady made fresh doughnuts on demand.

She had two baths of hot oil connected by a continuously moving conveyer chain. Above one of these hot oil baths was a metal hopper filled with freshly made dough and on request she would pull a lever and out popped a ring of dough into the first bath.

After a moment or two, she would guide this half done doughnut towards the continually moving conveyor where it was picked up then dropped upside down into the second bath. After a moment or two in there she picked up the now cooked confection with tongs and dropped it into a tub of sugar and that was it.....a piping hot doughnut that any child would swap his favourite toy for.

I always used to mither my Mother to buy me one....which she usually did and for the cost of sixpence, I was momentarily in doughnut heaven :).

They were the days, nice and simple, no chocolate or other toppings required, just plain old doughnut mix and a dusting of sugar.

Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Original Krispy Kreme glazed donut. They have to be fresh though. Yeast based donuts are amazing.
I'm also a Krispy Kreme fan.

I'm neighbors with the family that owns a famous small Maryland donuts,but I'm not a fan...(my wife is). It's tradition to go to the alley where the shop is at midnight when they open. I politely eat one.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My hands down favorite is blueberry cake doughnuts. They are great alone, but even better dipped in black coffee.

Beyond that, I like crullers and some of the creme filled just fine and the flavor jelly filled like apple and lemon. But the blueberry cake is like 10/10 whereas everything else is like 6/10 at best.

But I'm not a big fan of regular glazed, and especially of anything chocolate. The fresh Krispy Kreme glazed are way better than any Dunkin glazed, but Dunkin makes far superior cake doughnuts to Krispy Kreme.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian