PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Brands/Shops/Bakeries aside, I mean your favorite shape or style.

I grew up (and still live) in a historically German/Irish Catholic neighborhood. That means nearly every corner houses a church, bar, or bakery. Growing up, I must have tried just about every possible concoction created by flour, sugar, and yeast.

As an adult, my absolute favorite doughnut is the French Cruller.
For those unfortunate creatures who are uninitiated, the French Cruller is spiraled in shape, has a crispy exterior, and a mostly hollow-eggy-moist-soft interior.

I can't be bothered by bakeries that don't offer them. It is, in fact, the measuring stick with which I gauge a bakery.

This mornings half-dozen haul (minus one)..

image.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On the rare occasion that I indulge in a do-nut, my preference is for an old fashioned, either plain or chocolate topped. I used to get them at Bob's Coffee and Doughnuts in the Original Farmers Market. The doughnut shop in Westwood Village used to be top listed, but I haven't been there in decades, so don't know how good it is now.

No rush, but at some point I'll check out to see if there's good doughnuts in the Rogue.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Brands/Shops/Bakeries aside, I mean your favorite shape or style.

I grew up (and still live) in a historically German/Irish Catholic neighborhood. That means nearly every corner houses a church, bar, or bakery. Growing up, I must have tried just about every possible concoction created by flour, sugar, and yeast.

As an adult, my absolute favorite doughnut is the French Cruller.
For those unfortunate creatures who are uninitiated, the French Cruller is spiraled in shape, has a crispy exterior, and a mostly hollow-eggy-moist-soft interior.

I can't be bothered by bakeries that don't offer them. It is, in fact, the measuring stick with which I gauge a bakery.

This mornings half-dozen haul (minus one)..

View attachment 255251
First you had me envying your pipes, now you have me envying your donuts. French Cruller is tops in my book!

From what I can get normally I’ll often go with a sour cream and sometimes an apple fritter.

If anyone’s in the Ann Arbor area go get a sour cream or apple fritter from Dom’s bakery. They’re so crispy on the outside while being so soft and moist on the inside.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Apple Fritter from the Girdwood Bakery. Lend weight to my opinion on this gentlemen. I know my doughnuts, I'm a retired copper. :sher: Finest fritter in the entire Pacific Northwest!
Now, an apple fritter is something else, and had I considered it a doughnut, would have been my choice as well. Before the Pandemic, Bob's made spectacular apple fritters all day. Since then they don't have them in the morning before 11AM, which is just plain stupid, but it is what it is.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Cronut
Old fashion (plain)
Crullers
There's a bakery here in Louisville run by a Vietnamese family called Clifton Donuts. They do a tremendous French cruller AND cro-nuts - which have become another favorite when I'm in that part of town early enough.
They also do a hot dog filled donut which is strangely satisfying.