PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Peterson pipes are very popular. Some terrific shapes for sure. I currently have a p-lip Peterson Baker Street bulldog. It's just ok as have been other Petersons I've owned. The airflow on p-lips, in my experience, tend to be restricted. This can, again in my opinion, make break-in daunting and the pipe may never smoke as well as one which is more open. The p-lip makes correcting a tight draw more challenging. If you have a fish tail stem, opening the pipe, if necessary to improve air flow, is easier to do. I would also suggest that if you acquire a Pete get one in where the draft hole is drilled on-center and flush with the bottom of the bowl. Although the quality control at Peterson these days is allegedly better than in the past, one still has to be vigilant. I know that draft hole "placement" is not terribly important to many smokers, but I happen to think it is.

Reactions: Streeper541

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
Here's an old thread with photos that gives a visual of the difference:
Last thing, so i think im stuck between a 303 fishtail and 312. I’ll update when i can.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Here's an old thread with photos that gives a visual of the difference:

Last thing, so i think im stuck between a 303 fishtail and 312. I’ll update when i can.
Is it the shape or the chamber size you're trying to decide between? The 303 is the smaller version of the 302 and the 312 is the larger version of the 314.

Reactions: FLDRD

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I would advise against purchasing a p-lip as your first briar. If you’re dead set on a Peterson make sure you see fishtail in the title.
I'm a huge Peterson aficionado and fan of the P-lip. I would agree though, that unless you're experienced in pipes, you may want to stay away from the P-lip and continue with a mouthpiece that you're more familiar with. As for a Peterson pipe, you really can't go wrong with any of their offerings. They are tremendous smokers and well priced.

Let us know what you decide and keep us posted on your progress.

Another huge Peterson and P-lip fan here!
I understand that they can seem a bit strange if you're not used to them but they really help in avoiding tongue bite.
Personally the 312 is my favourite sized bent billiard but the 314 is a little better for smoking on the go, walking, working etc. Being that bit smaller it's easier to clench.
The 307 is great for sitting with, reading or watching a movie for example.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Another huge Peterson and P-lip fan here!
I understand that they can seem a bit strange if you're not used to them but they really help in avoiding tongue bite.
Personally the 312 is my favourite sized bent billiard but the 314 is a little better for smoking on the go, walking, working etc. Being that bit smaller it's easier to clench.
The 307 is great for sitting with, reading or watching a movie for example.
I am a fan of it too. I don't find it a big deal one way or the other, but I think it is better then a fishtail. I don't worry about bite haven't had an issue in years, but I do find that some blends taste more clear from a p-lip.

Reactions: Irish piper 1973
not at all. Just means it will stand up right when placed on a flat surface. My one Peterson has a flat bottom and is also a great pipe. System pipes are a little more intense to clean but not really a big issue.
I just recently missed out on a lovely looking 306 in an Ebay auction, I'm keeping an eye out for another good un to come along.

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
The 305 rusticated standard system is a very similar style and a great pipe, I have one and I love it! :)View attachment 294735
I ended up looking around back and forth between the 312, settled on the 305. I found my next pipe by looking so much. I can already see how easy it’s to start collecting pipes(rip my wallet because, I’m also trying to start a cellar asap to build age).

Reactions: AroEnglish

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I ended up looking around back and forth between the 312, settled on the 305. I found my next pipe by looking so much. I can already see how easy it’s to start collecting pipes(rip my wallet because, I’m also trying to start a cellar asap to build age).
I found the 305 to be a great little size and "hanger" that works pretty well for me.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
You can build a quick cellar for cheap with bulk tobaccos.