Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
Okay so do u have ur airway open when u puff on the pipe like ur breathing? because I could retrohale easy and the taste of the bacco is way better. I was closing off my throat and pulling from the pipe and couldn’t retrohale was I smoking the pipe wrong this whole time? 😅

ZaysPiping

Lurker
Mar 4, 2024
Gastonia, NC
Okay so do u have ur airway open when u puff on the pipe like ur breathing? because I could retrohale easy and the taste of the bacco is way better. I was closing off my throat and pulling from the pipe and couldn’t retrohale was I smoking the pipe wrong this whole time? 😅
Better to find this out now since im smoking from tins 😅. I was smoking some G.L pease Fillmore (delicious). I was trying to figure out how to retrohale and i did the former method and my whole piping experience changed.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve never thought about it but I’m pretty sure I do it with my airways closed.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Glad you took the plunge with a full system and that it worked out. I love them. In particular, mounts are just so rad; they are functional and look great.

I usually stay away from the holiday releases, but I've been thinking of grabbing a rusticated 2024 St Patrick's Day pipe. Probably a medium to large billiard.

I would advise against purchasing a p-lip as your first briar. If you’re dead set on a Peterson make sure you see fishtail in the title.
I just got my first Peterson and it’s got a p-lip. I WISH I’d known about this years ago. No more tongue bite and it encourages a gentle sip to taste the smoke rather than getting that blast from a fish-tail. The only reason I can possibly think for your argument is it might well put you off any other pipe without a p-lip!

I’ve never thought about it but I’m pretty sure I do it with my airways closed.
Try Muttonchops’s “breath method”. You breath through your nose but use your mouth to sip in and push out the smoke. He describes it as “the action of using mouthwash”. Once I understood that it is so easy to do. It’s brilliant and it keeps your pipe alight to😃

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I just got my first Peterson and it’s got a p-lip. I WISH I’d known about this years ago. No more tongue bite and it encourages a gentle sip to taste the smoke rather than getting that blast from a fish-tail. The only reason I can possibly think for your argument is it might well put you off any other pipe without a p-lip!
Glad you’re enjoying it 👍

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Try Muttonchops’s “breath method”. You breath through your nose but use your mouth to sip in and push out the smoke. He describes it as “the action of using mouthwash”. Once I understood that it is so easy to do. It’s brilliant and it keeps your pipe alight to😃
I'll give it a shot!

Reactions: ZaysPiping

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Acrylic fishtail fan here. Plips and vulcanite are not for me but many like them. I find aro smokes best in a system. The deluxe is just more fancy but it's the same function. I have a week set of Harps I separate for different types of tobacco. The shape and texture is all personal preference. I have a few smooth but mostly sandblast and rusticated. I like texture. I like big bowls and yes I cannot lie :) but the smaller ones are also nice too even for a good hold. I'll bet that you will like them all and buy many more over time. You can use the buy-try-resell model and not loose too many sawbucks in the process. Personally I've not found any Pete's I didn't like. They are all well balanced and easy to hold from the smaller 314 to the larger 307 and everything in between

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I've found personally and especially the breath method the draw hole needs to be reamed larger than the pipe maker created. I go up to 3/16 sometimes. With an empty pipe if I breath though nose I like to feel no resistance when the air comes through the chamber. That's how I know. Sometimes it's 11/64 and sometimes it's just using sequential number drills to get it just right.