PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
@LotusEater

On the off chance you come across the lovely Barrel proof versions of Four Roses, of the ten mash bill recipes, the OBSK and OBSQ will be rye forward.
I’m going to visit one of my favorite liquor stores tomorrow and I”ll look for the barrel prof version of Four Roses- I’m a big fan of their single barrel and small batch. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’m going to visit one of my favorite liquor stores tomorrow and I”ll look for the barrel prof version of Four Roses- I’m a big fan of their single barrel and small batch. Thanks!

Any of the Four Roses Barrel Proof versions are worth exploring—they’re generally very complex, nuanced, and delicate. If you can get them at a normal retail (usually around $89.99 in NYC when I see them) they’re the best bargain in higher end bourbon, and I say that as a fan and consumer of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection whiskies the last fourteen years. The fourth letter code is the yeast strain and will affect the taste being more floral or spicy, etc. I’m sure there are plenty of websites that will give a general breakdown of the ten different mash bills, but what could be better than the source?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Sorry to derail a bit but - I’m going to host a bourbon tasting this weekend for a few friends. Can anyone suggest some high rye bourbons that you have tried and liked or would like to try?
Thanks in advance
I liked these two. Pikesville, Knob Creek rye. It's for the best, you'll end up kicking ass, like a fresh cauliflower.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
My wife and I went to a Meadery (Pips in Gurnee IL) for the first time. Really good dessert style meads and cocktails. The meads we had were like port on steroids. Great, but pretty pricey - $40 ish for 375 ml.

I need to do additional research, but mead appears to be a pretty interesting (new to me) category with some fierce fans.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
New Belgium trippel. Wish trippel was more common, definitely my favorite beer.View attachment 268023

I recently finished a 6 pack of this. It's about the only Belgian style beer I can get in my neck of Philistia.

I often like quads even better, but have to pick them up when I'm in other regions. But no complaints about this -- very very good.