PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Sorry to derail a bit but - I’m going to host a bourbon tasting this weekend for a few friends. Can anyone suggest some high rye bourbons that you have tried and liked or would like to try?
Thanks in advance

Many guys' immediate answer will be Four Roses Small Batch, but TBH it seemed very run-of-the-mill to me. For not much more $ I found Basil Hayden's much more interesting.

I think that some of the Old Foresters are high rye as well, and I've liked everything I've had from them. But you'll have to double check what's high rye there.

I like rye maybe more than bourbon, so it's weird that my favorite bourbons are not high rye.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Many guys' immediate answer will be Four Roses Small Batch, but TBH it seemed very run-of-the-mill to me. For not much more $ I found Basil Hayden's much more interesting.

I think that some of the Old Foresters are high rye as well, and I've liked everything I've had from them. But you'll have to double check what's high rye there.

I like rye maybe more than bourbon, so it's weird that my favorite bourbons are not high rye.
I am not a Basil fan. I don't like the price for an 80 proof bourbon that is average. But, we all have different tastes!

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I've definitely been $2.7 million nice, but that has more to do with inflation going bugf**k than my gentlemanly conduct...

Pre-Shabbat relaxing with an aperitif of Borrasca Cava, Grapefruit Vincenzi, and sparkling water, on ice, with an orange slice. Total Wine & Spirits sure has some killer sales!

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Just got a Russel's Reserve barrel pick (It's Bourbon Night pick). Camp Nelson-E!

Amazing!!
I have a Binny’s Barrel pick of RR sitting in my basement waiting for a good reason to open it. Perhaps your opinion moves it to next in line. Never had a Wild Turkey product that was not good to great/fantastic.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

Thanks for the suggestions I used to drink a lot of Basil Hayden and I still like it but I think tasting it along side some other higher proof stuff kinda ruined it for me.
I do like Old Forester quite a bit.

Last edited: