PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Meh, that actually seems to be a somewhat popular opinion (that cobs are crap and basically just "starter" pipes or backup / yard pipes)

COBS ARE MEANT FOR BURLEY.

Agreed. Something about burley and cobs is a magical combo. Burley never tastes quite as good out of a briar as it does out of a cob.

I also like cobs for aromatics. Maybe meers are at least as good, and nicer, but cobs do the trick very well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like cobs, consider them permanent pipes, not disposable. But if I didn't like them, I wouldn't smoke them. I sure wouldn't feel judgmental about those who don't like them. Why smoke something unpleasant to you?

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
So... First welcome to the forum... second, I find it humorous that among your beater pipes that you've started a thread about, that it is a cob that must be used while walking the dog, ha ha.
Hahaha you got me there! My dog is a 130 lb malamute, so things can get a little dicey walking him, especially if he sees a deer or a bear.

Reactions: hobie1dog

davek

Mar 20, 2014
This is the most civilized Cob discussion (ever). Come on guys, where is the passion? The chest thumping? The bravado.
No chest thumping here. It's perfectly fine if an individual enjoys a wet smoke, tasting of wood.

;)

Reactions: lawdawg

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I’ve bought far more briars and cobs than I can manage to smoke. Almost seems like some sort of disorder, but that’s probably covered in another thread.

Likely due to spending more on briars, I’ve spent more time smoking them. Usually a different one every bowl. The last six months I’ve focused more on a a handful of pipes to try and sharpen technique.

Suddenly briar, cob and meer all smoke better and I no longer know my favourite.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Perhaps it comes down to which cob? There are so many variations that I never bothered getting one- but am interested in trying one out. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model/version or are they basically all the same (what?? you can't say THAT)

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Perhaps it comes down to which cob? There are so many variations that I never bothered getting one- but am interested in trying one out. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model/version or are they basically all the same (what?? you can't say THAT)

I would go with a Country Gentleman, Diplomat, or Mark Twain. They are medium sized bowls and have a hardwood plug in the bottom of the bowl. The Legend and other less expensive models are small and do not have the wood plug in the bowl making them a little "weaker."

Funny saying less expensive when they are all pretty much cheaper than a tin of tobacco.

Buy one and if it is not for you,save it. As winter is coming you can stick it in a snowman's mouth, as long as you don't mind possibly triggering some anti-smoking nazis. You may be accused of promoting and adding to the scourge of underage pipe smoking that is destroying our youth. All the cool kids are sneaking around smoking Captain Black Grape these days.

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
I have about six cobs. I smoke a couple from time to time, mostly for aros. I think they're very practical and have used them to try tobaccos I was not sure about but wanted to try. It's really no big deal. You have an opinion that's based on your experience, and I can definitely respect that.

Reactions: addamsruspipe

Spa32

Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I feel cobs have their place. Only smoke them outdoors in Summer when it's hot as hell and the humidity is high. I consider them disposable and wouldn't shed a tear if mine disappeared. I will always be a briar guy.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I’m pretty evenly split between briars and cobs. Still haven’t found a briar that does bulk aros and burley any better than a cob…or a cob that handles Va flakes as well as my briar billiards. The MM Country Gentleman was mentioned previously as one of the better cobs. I’d add two more, but neither is a typical lightweight clincher.

The first is the MacArthur Five Star with a medium-length stem. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be on MM’s site anymore…they’re all long stems. Looks unwieldy, but the balance in hand is actually quite comfortable. It helps to balance it with a glass of Elijah Craig Small Batch in the other hand. The second is the Wizard Cobbit, a hefty churchwarden that smokes as cool as—and much longer than—my briar churchwardens.

Both have very deep bowls and are perfect for hours-long chuffs of burley or dark fired Ky. I’ll hang a few racks of ribs in the Pit Barrel, light up, and the pipe lasts almost until the ribs are done. Takes a couple bowls to outlast a pair of pork shoulders.

But…don’t like cobs? Simple solution. Don’t smoke ‘em. Life’s too short to smoke a pipe you don’t like.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Although I have three MM Legend corn cob pipes, I haven’t actually smoked any of them. I have mainly used them to give friends an opportunity to try pipe smoking. I don’t really like the idea of the plastic stems.

I have just bought an Old Dominion Laughing King though that I like the looks of, so I will probably give that one a try when it arrives.

It might be a while before it arrives, because I couldn’t justify paying fast shipping for such a small order.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have more cob pipes than briars.

If I remember right, there was a break in period for both types.
But afterwards, I can’t discern a noticeable difference in the tobacco flavors they impart.

Then the difference for me between the pipes comes down to draw and clench. And the cob pipes win this contest. My cob pipes are lighter, and perhaps most heretical of all, I like the plastic stems. The plastic stems have tooth marks that help the pipes settle into the preferred clenching position. Then when these stems finally wear out, I’ve already purchased a supply of replacements.

Sure I have a few forever stems, but they don’t clench as well. One of the forever stems is a P-Lip stem, and that helped me decide not to spend extra going full Peterson for this experience.

I don’t include esthetics in my comparison between cobs and briars. The occasional laudatory comments from my friends about my briars are pretty unimpactful and fleeting, they weight heavy on my mind not at all.

Reactions: addamsruspipe
Status
Not open for further replies.