PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am not a big fan of cobs either. I own about ... three, out of which a Dagner is the most expensive. It is a nice piece, but for some reason I do prefer briar.

Reactions: addamsruspipe

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have more briars then cobs, but the cobs are catching up in number. What I have found is that a well modified cob smokes just as well as a briar and you don't have to worry about ghosting at all. I even have some cobs that are over 50 years old and going strong. Not to say I don't have my favorite briars as well, but I would have to say I like them both equally. :)

The briar as it warms with the tobacco, gives off an aroma that makes pipesmoke smell like pipesmoke. It is subtle, and it is so ubiquitous in the whole pipe experience that it can easily be missed by the smoker. But, the bystanders can pick it up more easily. But, when I smoke a cob, I smell those aromas that one gets when cleaning out a silo... and for a farmer it is not pleasant. I guess for those not in the know in farm life, I guess you wouldn't know.

But, when smoking meers and cobs, I mostly miss that subtle aroma of the warm briar. I love how each briar has it's own smell.

If I wanted to taste just the tobacco, I would roll them up or switch to cigars. I am in this for the pipes, and damned nice pipes. It's more than just smoking, it's a love affair with briar pipes.

If I had only cobs to smoke and briar was all taken from me... I'd quit in a heart beat. To just smoke cobs, is like drinking swill to keep up the buzz after all the good wine and whisky are gone. Sure, I could stomach it, but why?

Reactions: madox07

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My B&M gave me a cob for Veteran's day. I don't know what to do with it. What's the best tobacco for breaking in a Cob Pipe?
Any. They won't ghost. And they don't need break in, or cake, or anything else. It's that simplicity one of the things that appeals to the cob lovers.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have numerous cobs. I’ve used them for aromatics and Virginia blends...and I’ve never liked them. I always liked the flavor of Virginias better in my briar pipes. I tried many times to get into aromatics, even trying some of the best blends in my cobs, and I never understood why these blends were so popular.

Recently, I finally tried an aromatic blend (Straus Sleepy Hollow) in my Stanwell briar, and WOW, it was one of the best experiences I’ve had pipe smoking. I thought to myself: “So THIS is why people like aromatics!” It was a completely different blend in my briar. It came alive.

I know people love their cobs, and this is just my personal preference. To each his own, but I have finally come to terms with the fact that I just don’t like cobs.

That's ok I don't like 1q or blends that are >5% black Cavendish.

WebsterDitty

Lurker
Nov 8, 2019
Michigan
Corn cob pipes bring to mind a thrifty simplicity as seen in:

carbureted cars
rolodex files
single-geared bicycles with coaster brakes
morse code
coin collecting
games of marbles

All come with a phrase of instruction - nothing fragile here.

• Haha
Reactions: madox07

davek

Mar 20, 2014
The briar as it warms with the tobacco, gives off an aroma that makes pipesmoke smell like pipesmoke. It is subtle, and it is so ubiquitous in the whole pipe experience that it can easily be missed by the smoker. But, the bystanders can pick it up more easily. But, when I smoke a cob, I smell those aromas that one gets when cleaning out a silo... and for a farmer it is not pleasant. I guess for those not in the know in farm life, I guess you wouldn't know.

But, when smoking meers and cobs, I mostly miss that subtle aroma of the warm briar. I love how each briar has it's own smell.

If I wanted to taste just the tobacco, I would roll them up or switch to cigars. I am in this for the pipes, and damned nice pipes. It's more than just smoking, it's a love affair with briar pipes.

If I had only cobs to smoke and briar was all taken from me... I'd quit in a heart beat. To just smoke cobs, is like drinking swill to keep up the buzz after all the good wine and whisky are gone. Sure, I could stomach it, but why?
Interesting post. Briar does indeed impart a not unpleasant aroma, and also taste to an extent. I am primarily a cob smoker, but I'm also of the persuasion that different pipe materials can make a tobacco taste quite different. Some blends taste better in a briar. It's possible that I mostly smoke cobs because I mostly smoke Burley, which is reputed to be best in a cob.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
So, it is the fear of ghosting a briar that drives people to smoke cobs?
I'm an ex-cigar smoker who has gravitated to Burley as said above. Burley almost seems the logical pipe destination for someone who does smoke for the taste of tobacco. A cob is neutral, but I like it's absorbency the most I think. They don't call it Missouri Meerschaum for nuthin'.

I like a briar as well, occasionally preferentially, always nearly as much. Since cobs are cheap and low maintenance, and I never did give a shit what people think, it's a no brainer.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Can't speak for the ghosting issue, as I don't have that problem or worry (though I once did, the latter); it's just that I've seen relatively often the suggestion to 'try it in a cob first', usually given when trying out a blend for the first time, and the 'smoke it in a cob', given for aromatics that will—supposedly—render a briar useless for anything else due to the (in)famous ghost.

Personally, I don't relate cobs to extreme poverty but they don't appeal to me for their rustic look. I treat them as inexpensive, essentially disposable pipes that I won't cry a river if they go missing or break (unless something makes me develop an sentimental attachment to one of them—something that is yet to happen).

I disagree on the maintenance point, though. I find them higher maintenance than a briar. In fact, one of the things that makes me be a bit anti-cob is that there's no end to wiping them. I can 'ream' my briars with paper towel and after several wipes the towel will come out basically white. No such thing with cobs: no matter how many times I wipe them, the grossness never ends:

Reactions: Chasing Embers

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
About cobs supposedly not ghosting, wouldn’t any material that absorbs tobacco juices, tars and oils have the ability to ghost?

Isn’t trying a new blend in a cob first for fear of ghosting more about being able to throw the cob out if the new tobacco did leave a ghost?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I have a couple that I rarely utilize. I have a couple of big Savinellis that get a heavy workout. I use the cobs for the occasional Carter Hall bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.