PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebsterDitty

Lurker
Nov 8, 2019
Michigan
Being a new member, I find it hard to believe that pipe smokers would disparage a pipe smoking product of a company that has been around for over 150 years thus adding to the already shrinking popularity of an American mainstay - the best corn cob pipe the world has to offer.

It’s an American company employing American workers.

Do you realize that some of your comments read and shared by others are adding to the demise of an activity many are fighting to save from extinction through ever tightening laws snd regulations.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve got or had pipes of briar, meerschaum and cob that smoke well, and others that don’t. IME the material doesn’t automatically mean good or bad.

I’ve got a 10+ year old Country Gent with a Forever Stem I value and enjoy as much as other much more expensive pipes. I’ve got other MM pipes with the original vinyl stems that are great for clenching while I do woodworking. When the stem gets too mangled it gets a replacement. They’re faithful beaters. None of my cobs are wet smokers so they’re great for aromatics. Stronger Burley blends are also more civil in a cob, to me.

I see the different characteristics of the pipes in my fleet as something to match with what I’m doing or smoking. Cobs are just another tool in the kit. My biggest complaint with cobs is that the bowls are smaller than what I prefer. Just means a reload.

Choice is one of the great things about this hobby.

Ren

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm not parochial enough to accept that something American made must be quality or must be supported. Ford makes a great truck so, I own one. My SUV is German, we don't make an SUV I enjoy driving as much as the Merc. Indeed, we Americans are as capable of manufacturing crap as the next country. I buy Missouri Meerschaums by the page for fishing and such however. They are disposable to my mind and they do smoke acceptably. But, the fiscal health of the company is of little interest to me.

Much as I enjoy smoking it wouldn't bother me much to see it pass into oblivion either from lack of interest or government fiat. I'd be a bit out of sorts for a couple months I suppose. I am addicted in one way or another after all. But, I'd get over it pretty darned quick and move on to some other method spending and entertaining myself.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Being a new member, I find it hard to believe that pipe smokers would disparage a pipe smoking product of a company that has been around for over 150 years thus adding to the already shrinking popularity of an American mainstay - the best corn cob pipe the world has to offer.

It’s an American company employing American workers.

Do you realize that some of your comments read and shared by others are adding to the demise of an activity many are fighting to save from extinction through ever tightening laws snd regulations.

I have three American made pipes I enjoy smoking. An MM, a Tinsky and a Doc G. I smoke them because I like them, not because where they were made. I have two more American mades that sit in a box, abandoned, with a Dunny and a couple Pete's that I don't smoke, not because of their origins, but because I just don't like them. Never found a logo to make a ppipe smoke better, LOL.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Unpopular opinion (and attitude) #2: If I think something sux, I am not afraid to say so.

Furthermore, I'm not American, I'm Canadian. Even so, again, if I think something sux, I will say so and won't buy it even if it's made in Canada by Canadians. I see no debacle-causing harm in doing so—heck, my disparaging might actually help: it might elicit product improvement, which will help my economy, and thus my country. Heck, if I think something is crap I won't buy it even if the maker is my father!

I've my share of cobs and I even splurged on MM's 2018 Limited Edition Reverse Calabash (which has sat unsmoked on my bookcase for almost two years now: the bowl is just too damn big for my smoking habits!), but I still find them way too rustic and hard to clean and, again, I'm not afraid to say so.

Reactions: Spa32

WebsterDitty

Lurker
Nov 8, 2019
Michigan
Comparing the decision making process of supporting an activity of purchasing a few corn cob pipes to that of the decision making process and huge investment of purchasing an automobile, or SUV, or a house is in my mind a bit ...parochial.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Comparing the decision making process of supporting an activity of purchasing a few corn cob pipes to that of the decision making process and huge investment of purchasing an automobile, or SUV, or a house is in my mind a bit ...parochial.
You're not wrong. Many pipe smokers fall into a faith and religion with many denominations and much dogma.

I just like burning tobacco in my pocket fire pit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Corn cob pipes bring to mind a thrifty simplicity as seen in:

carbureted cars
rolodex files
single-geared bicycles with coaster brakes
morse code
coin collecting
games of marbles

All come with a phrase of instruction - nothing fragile here.
Never heard of Riccardo Santia have you??

1426539238.png

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The stems have always been an issue for me. I did manage to find one I thought very similar to the style smoked in "Men of Honor" but it has such a small bowl, it doesn't get used much. I generally don't smoke while say, doing yardwork ( I seem to smoke way too fast when I do). If I found a cob with a bowl capacity I favor with a nice, vulcanite stem, I wouldn't any reason it couldn't be every bit as enjoyable as my briars.

Mike S.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was referring to the boundaries of the US and buying items manufactured only in the "parish" simply because the item is made in the US by workers in the US. I am not understanding your application of the term. Parochial is more widely defined than simply a religious term. Restricting the term only to it's religious usage is, in and of itself, parochial.:rolleyes::sher:

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
i prefer clays over cobs for the price range. I love to be able to puff like a train and not worry about a burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.