PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I have numerous cobs. I’ve used them for aromatics and Virginia blends...and I’ve never liked them. I always liked the flavor of Virginias better in my briar pipes. I tried many times to get into aromatics, even trying some of the best blends in my cobs, and I never understood why these blends were so popular.

Recently, I finally tried an aromatic blend (Straus Sleepy Hollow) in my Stanwell briar, and WOW, it was one of the best experiences I’ve had pipe smoking. I thought to myself: “So THIS is why people like aromatics!” It was a completely different blend in my briar. It came alive.

I know people love their cobs, and this is just my personal preference. To each his own, but I have finally come to terms with the fact that I just don’t like cobs.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
It's great, you found what you like! Plenty briars to choose, years of PAD ahead of you:)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I have numerous cobs. I’ve used them for aromatics and Virginia blends...and I’ve never liked them. I always liked the flavor of Virginias better in my briar pipes. I tried many times to get into aromatics, even trying some of the best blends in my cobs, and I never understood why these blends were so popular.

Recently, I finally tried an aromatic blend (Straus Sleepy Hollow) in my Stanwell briar, and WOW, it was one of the best experiences I’ve had pipe smoking. I thought to myself: “So THIS is why people like aromatics!” It was a completely different blend in my briar. It came alive.

I know people love their cobs, and this is just my personal preference. To each his own, but I have finally come to terms with the fact that I just don’t like cobs.

Blasphemy! Phillistine!

LOL, its all good. You know what you like and don’t like and that’s all that matters.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and charf

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Yup it boils down to your preference at the end of the day.
For me its more about endurance. With my style of smoking briars are best because I always burn through cobs

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I don't think that's a particularly unpopular opinion, really. Lots of people don't care for cobs. I'm a fan, personally. What can I say? There's just something about the feel of a 3-cent plastic tube squashed between your teeth. Plus I don't feel bad about mistreating them terribly. There's something liberating about puffing away on the remnants of your pipe's chamber wall in a brisk wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.