Potential McClelland Christmas Cheer Rival? Perhaps!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

novaki

Lurker
Apr 4, 2020
Meridian, MS
Was smoking some CC 2015 and CRF 2022 over the holidays and noticed the similarity. In some ways, I might even prefer the CRF. It’ll never be the same thing, but it’s the same concept as far as components go.

Supposedly, McC had an absurdly high sugar percentage that was close to 20% while CRF is usually near and around 10%. It could be the year or the age, but I found CRF to be richer and fuller and at times maybe even sweeter. Either way, both are amazing and I’d never turn down a bowl of either. Hoping to catch every release of CRF and maybe skipping the perique ones.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
It is sometimes tarnished with the addition of perique though, unfortunately

No that’s not true. CRF does not have Perique. Unlike Kringle, with the CRF you have the option of buying it with or without Perique and that addition is a different named blend (Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique).

Both do really well so there must be a lot of people that like the w/Perique version. I like it but think they, as is common with C&D blends, are heavy handed with the Perique. If I want Perique in mine I will just add it myself.

As I said though, that version also does very well so I am in the minority……again.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
People ought to quit trying to replicate what McClelland did. It is a waste of time. Work on what you do well is the thing to strive for. Quit trying to be the next McClelland and concentrate on being the best you can be.
I don't necessarily think anyone is trying to replicate McClelland Reds, exactly. McClelland offered a single crop red-orange Va. Nobody else is currently producing such a thing now, except for C&d with there CRF. It's nice to see someone trying to fill the void with a similar product of similar quality.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
No that’s not true. CRF does not have Perique. Unlike Kringle, with the CRF you have the option of buying it with or without Perique and that addition is a different named blend (Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique).

Both do really well so there must be a lot of people that like the w/Perique version. I like it but think they, as is common with C&D blends, are heavy handed with the Perique. If I want Perique in mine I will just add it myself.

As I said though, that version also does very well so I am in the minority……again.
Do they offer both versions in the same year though?

Reactions: Papamique

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I recently purchased 5 tins Christmas Cheer. The first was 2003; the tin was NOT bulging and it taste absolutely amazing. The next 4 were from the same seller and all were bulging. I’ve opened them all. The bulging tins are still acclimating, but none have yet compared to the original 2003. I simply transferred the second (bulging) tin of 2003 into mason jar with first (non-bulging). I’m wondering why one can had no bulging and those from the other seller were all bulging. Could the storage environment have such a big effect ? And from what I’ve read bulging is good. So why did the non-bulging one taste best ? We will see. Oh yes, the dates on the bulging tins are 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's too bad. That's the only one I missed, and the one I'd like to have had. I really really do have hope for this stuff. The stats of the leaf are in our favour
As long as you discount all of the processing that McClelland put their leaf through to get that flavor.

I suspect that C&D will come up with something really good, but I'd rather it be 1st rate C&D than 3rd rate McClelland.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve been a McClelland fan from way back when there was plenty to be had, but they’re gone now.

I’d be much happier seeing a blender doing their own thing in a way that blows us away, rather than trying to create a simulacrum of Virginias gone by.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I’ve been a McClelland fan from way back when there was plenty to be had, but they’re gone now.

I’d be much happier seeing a blender doing their own thing in a way that blows us away, rather than trying to create a simulacrum of Virginias gone by.
I agree. But there is something admirable about the aging process that both McClelland and apparently Esoterica (used to ?) did/do. I don’t understand why such aging and “sweating” of tobacco leaves in open air environments (barns) should be such an unusual thing. I DON’T understand why only McClelland has such a reputation for such long term preparation of their tobacco.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Mike McNiel had long term relationships with some of his producers and was apparently involved in the tobacco all along the way and was very picky. Then there was whatever processing they were doing at McClelland after they got the leaf in house. It was a great deal of extra work for all involved. There were several things that changed that made raising tobacco less attractive than other crops which could pay the same with less work.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023

I agree. But there is something admirable about the aging process that both McClelland and apparently Esoterica (used to ?) did/do. I don’t understand why such aging and “sweating” of tobacco leaves in open air environments (barns) should be such an unusual thing. I DON’T understand why only McClelland has such a reputation for such long term preparation of their tobacco.
Mike McNiel had long term relationships with some of his producers and was apparently involved in the tobacco all along the way and was very picky. Then there was whatever processing they were doing at McClelland after they got the leaf in house. It was a great deal of extra work for all involved. There were several things that changed that made raising tobacco less attractive than other crops which could pay the same with less work.
Yes to all of that !

Reactions: renfield
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey

Yes to all of that !
I think they are, it's just that different manufacturers have different processes and protocols from start to finish. Additionally, objectively, it's also just plain risky. Sunk cost, risk of lost stock from fires or insect damage, labor........it's slowly becoming a different world over the decades.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I think they are, it's just that different manufacturers have different processes and protocols from start to finish. Additionally, objectively, it's also just plain risky. Sunk cost, risk of lost stock from fires or insect damage, labor........it's slowly becoming a different world over the decades.
Great points

I interpreted the Op to mean that C&D's CRF was a "rival" for Christmas Cheer. NOT that it was just like Christmas Cheer in any way. For example, Ford Mustangs could rival Corvettes, but that doesn't mean that they drive, look, or are like a Corvette in any way.
To me, it just meant that CRF could be like CC in the way people buy it when it's released, looking forward to it each year in the same way.

Hey, but maybe I am the one who misinterpreted the OP.