Potential McClelland Christmas Cheer Rival? Perhaps!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
This Carolina Red flake 2022 batch has quite the high natural sugar content. I also recall many of the Christmas Cheer blends containing the "Orange Tip" Virginias. I don't know you guys, but with the proper age..... This could be a worthy contender for those who miss the famous McClelland Reds!

Only time will tell. I only wish I bought more that a few tins.

EBA4DE76-CDBE-4457-906F-100D2E0BFE9E.jpeg

6F0544BF-F843-4553-A8E6-87D9915AD4CF.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's too bad. That's the only one I missed, and the one I'd like to have had. I really really do have hope for this stuff. The stats of the leaf are in our favour
It'll be a good one, but not following McClelland's processing it will never be CC no more than CC will ever be CRF. Excluding Straight Orientals and aromatics, red Virginias are my favorite tobacco. It's a good blend on its own merits but I would avoid any tins of CRF from 2016 like the plague.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Closest thing I've seen to CC was the 2019 Cringle Flake before they wrecked it with perique.
Tried some 2007 CC vs. some 2019 CF for fun today. Obviously a lot more age on the CC so not claiming apples to apples. I really enjoyed both. Tin notes very different, the CC seemed "richer" in a way I can't describe in terms of flavor and different in flavor - both very high quality (to me) experiences. Tomorrow 2007 CC vs. some well aged Sixpence, which has a couple other elements - should make for an interesting comparison. Coming to appreciate Virginias more and more.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Back when the Carolina Red Flake was first introduced I had hopes it might lean closer to CC than it does. CRF is certainly excellent but there’s just a depth of flavor missing that CC usually had even when it was fresh, IMO. (Most likely due to the close control of processing exercised by Mike McNiel.)

Time should further improve CRF. In the meantime Cringle scratches the itch for a seasonal Virgina based treat. I like the VaPers they’ve blended but I’d vote for a straight Virginia Cringle next year.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
No way it will reach that stature.
Considering it has gone the way of the dinosaur and most new pipe smokers have never smoked it--and never will--I wouldn't say it has much of a stature left at all. I'd call Christmas Cheer overrated, and certainly not worth the resale price (and I did, indeed, smoke it). I'd also throw in that the FM blends are also quite overrated; the last tin of Cellar I opened was outshined by Boswell's Northwoods in my pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd call Christmas Cheer overrated
Many did when it was widely available as well as 40th Anniversary but since their discontinuation, it's hit that wanting but not having much like the mediocre Germain's/Esoterica blends. We're they available daily, their popularity and cost would decline. I've got enough McClelland tobacco to last until the end of my days but I find no tobacco worth paying more than retail.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wonder if they used a secret topping or flavouring of some sort
I think it may have been some of that. But mostly, I think they sourced the sweetest, premium tobacco leaf, especially the Red. And I think they had a number of proprietary processes that added to their unique tin note and flavors.

That's why I don't try to compare anything to McClelland. Never found anything close at all. And not saying McClelland is better than everything else. Just totally unique on its own.