Potential McClelland Christmas Cheer Rival? Perhaps!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I'm not an expert, and I don't smoke a lot, but I have ample experience with McClelland. I've also had some of the newer Va based releases (generally special releases I think) out of SP/C&D/Laudisi...and in my view these guys are serious. Knowing Sykes in a past life (meaning a long while back) this is what I expected to see after he acquired C&D.

Top shelf tobacco, and I can see the quality references or comparisons ...even some flavor references, with McClelland as reasonable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I expect that the CRF will mature very nicely and be fine in its own right.
But it’s not undergoing the kind of processing that McClelland did, which resulted in a uniquely identifiable House style. The NcNeills haven’t shared that info. It’s not going to be McClelland-like.
Expressing CRF’s qualities in terms of “McClellandness” only confirms that McClelland is THE standard.
McClelland is A standard. There are others. Maybe CRF will become its own standard.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This Carolina Red flake 2022 batch has quite the high natural sugar content. I also recall many of the Christmas Cheer blends containing the "Orange Tip" Virginias. I don't know you guys, but with the proper age..... This could be a worthy contender for those who miss the famous McClelland Reds!

Only time will tell. I only wish I bought more that a few tins.

View attachment 189349

View attachment 189348
Nope.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
This Carolina Red flake 2022 batch has quite the high natural sugar content.

I agree! CRF is a very very good red Virginia. I like it better than CC.

CRF is a very special selection of a particular vintage of orange tips high in sugar content and I find it to have a wide range of flavors. A surprisingly full flavor range for a singular leaf blend. Naturally sweet and rich in oils it is, as they say, exceptional quality leaf with a distinctive character. I bought all I could once I tasted how unique it was.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m lucky enough to have a solid stash of CC, so I’m actually glad CRF is different. I don’t think the oldest CRF is any where close to old enough to know how good it can be, but what I’ve tasted so far certainly bodes well.

This is purely my own opinion (not worth much at all on the open market), but I’ve always thought that McCelland’s Virginias are very soft and relatively mild, while being very rich in flavor. To my tastebuds, CRF is considerably bolder, packing much more ooomph than McClelland’s Virginias, even CC. That’s not better or worse, just different.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Some will say vinegar, but some of the Virginias that cosmicfolklore was tinkering with had a very McClelland profile with no added flavoring.
I do know certain bacteria release vinegar when they ferment things. I highly suspect it's the way they ferment it. Otherwise I think the code would have gotten cracked by now.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
As others have iterated, crf is a good straight virginia that stands on its own.

As far as mclelland goes and their secret method, a few clues can be gathered from listening to what Mike used to say. First of all they used very high sugar leaf, which apparently today is hard to come by. Then they fermented the crap out of it. Ive heard him say it goes thru several summer sweats.

I believe the ketchup note is from the fermentation process as the sugars are converted to acetic acid. Im not a chemist so I could be wrong but thats the theory at least.

Dec 27, 2022
This Carolina Red flake 2022 batch has quite the high natural sugar content. I also recall many of the Christmas Cheer blends containing the "Orange Tip" Virginias. I don't know you guys, but with the proper age..... This could be a worthy contender for those who miss the famous McClelland Reds!

Only time will tell. I only wish I bought more that a few tins.

View attachment 189349

View attachment 189348
They’ve got you fooled bro

There is no similarity of any C&D product to McClelland in any way.