Potential McClelland Christmas Cheer Rival? Perhaps!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
This Carolina Red flake 2022 batch has quite the high natural sugar content. I also recall many of the Christmas Cheer blends containing the "Orange Tip" Virginias. I don't know you guys, but with the proper age..... This could be a worthy contender for those who miss the famous McClelland Reds!

Only time will tell. I only wish I bought more that a few tins.

View attachment 189349

View attachment 189348
I agree. All you’re saying is hey, look at these components. This could be a contender, only time will tell.

Folks, Gervais is comparing components, not processes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've heard there are similarities between CC and Watch City's Rouxgaroux... haven't smoked either one.
None. The Christmas Cheers were single vintage releases of Red and/or orange Virginias from farms with which McClelland had contracts.
Rougaraux uses different Virginias in its mix as well as a variety of toppings, including red wine, that aren’t in any of the CC’s. Both are excellent smokes.

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
None. The Christmas Cheers were single vintage releases of Red and/or orange Virginias from farms with which McClelland had contracts.
Rougaraux uses different Virginias in its mix as well as a variety of toppings, including red wine, that aren’t in any of the CC’s. Both are excellent smokes.
I thought there were different types of vinegar in both?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Maybe it won't be "McClelland", but it might turn into a Red Va that people hold as dear to their hearts as McClelland produced
It doesn’t need to be McClelland and it won’t be. It just needs to be its own great self. Time will tell.
McClelland didn’t turn out just one, but a variety of great Virginias. They also turned out a fair amount of duds. But you could always recognize McClelland Virginia from its processing, its distinctive savory note.
C&D makes some good blends, but not distinctive in the same way. Why should they? Better 1st class C&D than 2nd class someone else.
Bottom line, do you love the blend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought there were different types of vinegar in both?
I don’t get vinegar from Rougaroux, just the red wine. The vinegar in McClelland is thought by some to be a byproduct of fermentation. Whatever, I would flash off the vinegar by airing out a tin over a week or two before smoking so I could enjoy the actual flavors of their Virginia. The vinegar wasn’t the point.