PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Marty... Believe it or not... they have cameras that you can carry with you.
3445671242_ff62268fd0_z.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I took my camera with me yesterday, but it was so dark and overcast that I elected to wait for some sunshine to illuminate the true beauty of the storefront. Maybe this weekend.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
You fellows are damn lucky. Those shops look great, I'd love to have a browse. Something tells me I'd part with a substantial amount of money pretty fast.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Looking over those pictures again just this minute, I'm almost in a reverie. The selection of pipes and tobacco is astounding to me - I could browse for hours in a place like that, as I'm sure some of you have. It's nice to see that some areas in the US haven't disgraced tobacco like our Canadian laws have. You feel like a pariah up here just by walking into one of our pathetic smoke shops. I have family and other motives to visit Chicago - I will make a point to visit Iwan Ries if I ever make the trip.
As for your pics, Bubba - it must be nice to still have a place where you can sit comfortably and enjoy your pipe. They are becoming rarer by the day, a lot of us can't even smoke in our own homes for one reason or another. Have a bowl or two of something good for me!

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
6a010536b86d36970c0120a5678c6d970b-800wi.jpg

Here's a press photo of my local, Rich's Cigar and Magazines from back in the day. I'll try to get a more recent photo if somebody doesn't (or hasn't already) beaten me to it.
On the days that we went to town, I would inevitably find myself in Rich's waiting around for my father. Many years later, at his funeral, I lamented to my uncle that dad had been dismissed from his (rather straight laced) college for smoking a cigar. My uncle got a funny look on his face and said, "He was smoking it at three in the morning in the women's dormitory." Respect.
Here's their website

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
Fredvegas
There are many smoke shops in VA, although most are more cigar oriented. I live in the northern Virginia area and there are a few places to go. If you find yourself about an hour north check out these places.
Old Virginia Tobacco Co
They have some cool house blends but the one near me is mainly all about cigars. I don't go there much.
Saylor's Cigars
These folks are really nice. Very welcoming and know what they are talking about. Unfortunately they lean towards the cigar side more than the pipe.
Leesburg Tobacconist
Nice place to go. Only been there once so I don't know too much about it.

Scottish Merchant/John Crouch Tobacconist
Nice place to go if you find yourself in old town Alexandria.
Of the places listed I usually stop by Saylor's and John Crouch the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.