PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I didn't buy anything, and I don't smoke cigars; but I'm pissed on behalf of anyone who feels abused.

What, no outrage?
The baccy blend is labeled "IPSD '15 Bulk Blend"

I will hand it over to the herd at the LVPC tonight for their enjoyment.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Looks like a great haul, and I hope you enjoy it. I don't know how many Goody Boxes they had available, but when I called, sometime around mid day, they were already all out, and so I decided that I no urgent need to place an order. And, while I do concur that the contents of the box are rather impressive, I thought it was too heavily weighted in favor of cigars for my liking, especially since we were celebrating IPSD, so in retrospect, I'm glad I backed off this year.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Mine arrived today! Pretty much the same, just different cigars possibly. Awesome box overall! Pipe looks pretty decent.

dback

Lurker
Feb 23, 2015
Same experience here. My cigars are the same as Woodsroad's. My ashtray (the large "M" shaped thing) is grey instead of black. Different Suttliff blends.
The Butthurt Bulk Blend (B3) is labelled IPSD Blend or something similar. A pretty nice, light aromatic.
The Borkum Riff pipe is pretty rough - well below Dr. Grabow quality and the pipe tool will probably end up in the trash, but all-in-all a very welcome freeby!
I'd also taken a flyer on the $59.99 IPSD Kit. The basket pipe is actually pretty nice. The pipe tool included in the kit is less impressive. I prefer the cheapo Czech tools, but will keep it around as a spare. I rounded off the order with two each of my three favorite Missouri Meerschaum tobaccos to bring the whole order to just over $100.
Considering both the Goodie Box and shipping were free plus the 15% of an the entire order, I am quite pleased.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Had a little of the IPSD blend, not bad but was only outside for a few minutes smoking it and talking to my sister on the phone. Overall taste was good, can't really describe since I was more focused on talking to her than the tobacco.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I cant for the life of me understand how anyone can complain about a free pipe? I know in my collection I designate some pipes known as "beater pipes" and basically for blends that ghost heavily and is designated to those blends. Great point shantiques if you don't like your free pipe there are plenty of new pipe smokers that would enjoy it. Also anyone on this thread pick up the IPSD package? I know a lot of people turned their heads to that deal.... me personally I saw a pipe I can personally use, and if there is issues with it I will get the bits out and work on it and attempt to improve it.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I agree. I have plenty of pipes in my rotation, and I didn't care for the feel of the free pipe. However, throwing it away never crossed my mind. My little brother burnt out his pipe, so I called him up to see if he would like it. Had he passed, I would've either given it to a friend or sent it to shaitiques for the FPP.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah I'd say this isn't the greatest pipe ever, but by no means just toss it in the garbage! It can at least be used as a beater pipe or maybe if you're traveling bring it along and if you lose it or it's confiscated (assuming your flying), not the end of the world.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
We had another great evening at the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club. I passed around the Butthurt Bulk Blend (B3) and it was well received. I actually had to hunt down what was left of it at the end of the night.

mmjk opined:

"All of which gets a thumbs down from a majority of the forum members."

Damn, I missed the part where you were appointed spokesman for the forum. What's that like?

baconbowl

Lurker
Feb 24, 2015
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry! lol! I can't wait to sample the B3 blend! I was lucky enough to score a box. If any of the contents of my box are different from the others, I'll make a post.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Not surprised to see Sutliff and several OTC blends in the lot. Looks like P&C is clearing out the junk section of the warehouse. LOL With that said; to all that got the goodie box, enjoy.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Just confused by the OTC comment isn't all tobacco sold OTC? This isn't medicine where there are controlled tobaccos?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
The IPSD blend which I am smoking right now is a very mild aromatic it's not bad it's better because it was free...would I buy this blend... Probably not. The pipe I received in the sampler really is not a bad pipe no name Italian made it smokes good.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Just confused by the OTC comment isn't all tobacco sold OTC?"
Yeah, that is confusing. It dates back to the old days, like last year, when pipe tobacco was still sold at drug stores, alongside non-prescription "over the counter" medications.
Today, the OTC moniker is applied freely to any pipe tobacco sold in a non-tobacconist retail setting, usually the stuff in pouches.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Oh ok I understand now for a minute I thought I needed a doctors order for the higher quality stuff.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Care to quantify "another", peteguy?
FWIW, I do believe that mmjk's Stalinization was involuntary. He's on his way to Siberia as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.