Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Aug 1, 2012
I hated the Oom Paul/Hungarian shape until I bought a near mint Sasieni Four Dot in the shape. It smoked well and was the easiest clenching pipe I've ever owned. Sadly, it's sitting in a suitcase in Latvia and due to my ex wife's divorce timing I may never see it again.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I hated the Oom Paul/Hungarian shape until I bought a near mint Sasieni Four Dot in the shape. It smoked well and was the easiest clenching pipe I've ever owned. Sadly, it's sitting in a suitcase in Latvia and due to my ex wife's divorce timing I may never see it again.
Why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it.

Rent a home, kids, and spouse so you can give them back when you're done (or extend the lease another 3 to 5 years).

I broke two of the three and own my hypocrisy.

Reactions: Beowoulf

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Mine, made by Todd Bannard aka Sasquatch of BST Pipes, who did an incredible job. It smokes beautifully dry and passes a pipe cleaner. I didn't think to ask him for a flat bottom so it doesn't sit.
20220902_195342-jpg.166790

20220902_195438-jpg.166792

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
What is it that makes an Oom Paul an Oom Paul? I thought it was just having a flat bottom but apparently it is more than that.

I always thought of the attached picture being a Oom Paul, but I guess it isn't? What would you call the attached pic?

View attachment 224174
I'd call a 3/4 bent something, maybe egg or brandy.
Here is another candidate from my collection. Is this one an Oom Paul? (Patience, please. Patience.)

View attachment 224356
I think it is.

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I believe, based on my reading (could be wrong) that Hungarian shape pipes were originally Tyrolean Hunting pipes but with shorter stems so they could be smoked while working. Their main characteristic is flats sides from the bowl to stummel. They became popular with soldiers after the Boar War because Paul Kruger smoked one and his friends had one made for him by Peterson. Unfortunately, the slang name was OOM Paul for Uncle Paul. Eventually people with no sense of history or accuracy began calling everything with a bend an Oom Paul. A Bent billiard and a bent dutch are not Hungarians. To distinguish themselves from the east western pipemakers began to round out the bowl to a more cylindrical shape distinguishing the bowl from the stummel. I personally call these 'western hungarians'. They are actually full bent Dutch shapes. A true Hungarian has flat sides and bowl and stummel share the side with little or no differentiation. The Sav 604 and 620 would be in the more westernized group. Some French companies still make true Hungarian shapes. The current Peterson Pub pipe is a true Hungarian shape per Mark irwin at Peterson Pipe Notes.

Bent Dutch:

Hungarian Pub Pipe:
Is this what you mean when you spoke of "flat sides from bowl to stummel"?

Hungarian flat-sided pipe shape.jpg

I find this "veeeeery interestingk" as Arte Johnson would say (but not "shtoopid"). I appreciate your knowledge on the subject!

MidTNPiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2023
Nashville, TN
I had today off so I took a little road trip down to Briar Works and this little fella came home with me!
View attachment 231264
Beautiful pipe! I was recently between this shape, a 12L, and a 91…ended up with the 91. Love it. Question, probably a silly one: can you pass a pipe cleaner with the stem on? I’m a wet smoker and value that feature.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Is this what you mean when you spoke of "flat sides from bowl to stummel"?

View attachment 231915

I find this "veeeeery interestingk" as Arte Johnson would say (but not "shtoopid"). I appreciate your knowledge on the subject!
Yes ! That's what I meant. I am certainly far from an expert but I was interested and did alot of reading and looking at pictures. The modern versions make the bowl more cylindrical and accentuate the separation from the stummel and I personally call these 'western hungarians'. Originals or traditional are closer to the BBK Swiss pipes which is where I suspect they got the shape from:
1688778819250.png
That flower is an Edelweiss which grows in the Alps above 2000 feet. (See Band of Brothers)

See also pictures:

There were traditionally three shapes popular in Hungary though ... each different. Hope that helps.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Beautiful pipe! I was recently between this shape, a 12L, and a 91…ended up with the 91. Love it. Question, probably a silly one: can you pass a pipe cleaner with the stem on? I’m a wet smoker and value that feature.
Mine can. You need to do that half twist but it’s not an issue. I find it super easy with a stiff pipe cleaner like white elephant but even a standard BJ Longs works great once you know what you’re doing. I’ve been impressed how BriarWorks’ deep bends like this and the Moonshine Cannonball can pass pipe cleaners.