PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I believe, based on my reading (could be wrong) that Hungarian shape pipes were originally Tyrolean Hunting pipes but with shorter stems so they could be smoked while working. Their main characteristic is flats sides from the bowl to stummel. They became popular with soldiers after the Boar War because Paul Kruger smoked one and his friends had one made for him by Peterson. Unfortunately, the slang name was OOM Paul for Uncle Paul. Eventually people with no sense of history or accuracy began calling everything with a bend an Oom Paul. A Bent billiard and a bent dutch are not Hungarians. To distinguish themselves from the east western pipemakers began to round out the bowl to a more cylindrical shape distinguishing the bowl from the stummel. I personally call these 'western hungarians'. They are actually full bent Dutch shapes. A true Hungarian has flat sides and bowl and stummel share the side with little or no differentiation. The Sav 604 and 620 would be in the more westernized group. Some French companies still make true Hungarian shapes. The current Peterson Pub pipe is a true Hungarian shape per Mark irwin at Peterson Pipe Notes.

Bent Dutch:

Hungarian Pub Pipe:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Here's the original PPN article I was referencing:

Here's a picture of Paul Kruger with his pre-Peterson pipe ... clearly a tyrolean Hungarian bent:
1685138965937.png1685138965937.png
The flat bottom is a modern addition. The Top of Bowl and top of Stummel are generally equidistant. Some Hungarian shapes are more egg shaped than pot shaped.
The modern versions seem to be a combination of bent dutch and true hungarian (IMO).

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
A quintet of Oom Pauls, one of my favorite shapes. No flat bottoms or sitters in the lot.

CCW from top left
WDC Wellington 1920’s

GBD Colossus Collector Prehistoric

No name meer

Peterson Pub

Alpha ShalomView attachment 224268
On closer look at a photo of Paul Kruger smoking his pipe (below), I note that his pipe didn’t have a flat bottom, and while some of the recent incarnations calling themselves Oom Pauls do have a somewhat flatter bottom, they are not completely flat, unlike that of a poker or other sitter.

1685156815054.jpeg