PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
A quintet of Oom Pauls, one of my favorite shapes. No flat bottoms or sitters in the lot.

CCW from top left
WDC Wellington 1920’s

GBD Colossus Collector Prehistoric

No name meer

Peterson Pub

Alpha ShalomView attachment 224268
Beautiful !! Like that meer !! Do you see how the Peterson and Meer have flat sides while the three others have a more pronounced indentation between bowl and shank ? That's what I was trying to explain in my poor way ... the western made (french, italian, english, american) Hungarians have that indentation down to the bottom of the bowl while the eastern vintage originals seem to be flat sided. I don't think it matters its just some minutia I noticed.
I find they generally smoke very cool and dry down to the bottom of the bowl if you have the patience to get there ... they are larger pipes! Beautiful collection.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yeah, there can be a great deal of variation in the shank/bowl transition of Oom Paul/Hungarian pipes. Different styles come and go but there are a few inescapable features that make a Oom Paul, the shank needs to end near parallel with the bowl, the end of the shank needs to be near the top of the bowl, the bowl needs to be nearly cylindrical, and the pipe needs to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5x taller than it is wide. Outside of those things there is some room for interpretation, mostly with the shank/bowl transition.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yeah, there can be a great deal of variation in the shank/bowl transition of Oom Paul/Hungarian pipes. Different styles come and go but there are a few inescapable features that make a Oom Paul, the shank needs to end near parallel with the bowl, the end of the shank needs to be near the top of the bowl, the bowl needs to be nearly cylindrical, and the pipe needs to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5x taller than it is wide. Outside of those things there is some room for interpretation, mostly with the shank/bowl transition.
Excellent way to describe the important elements ! Thank you!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Pipe maker and general weirdo Olie Sylvester has an Oom Paul society page that has some content concerning this pipe shape. It's also where he sells his Monstrosity and Zombie pipes and tampers.

OomPaul Society — OomPaul - http://oompaul.com/oompaul-society

Here's my only oom paul, a chinese made road town pipe, that smokes just fine.
444A6514-80CC-4AFE-86CF-F07CFAB583F0_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Here is another candidate from my collection. Is this one an Oom Paul? (Patience, please. Patience.)

View attachment 224356
Yes, that is a Hungarian shaped pipe. Some of us find the term oom paul to be bad slang; although it is becoming common parlance now unfortunately. That's a nice grained pipe by the way. As for pipe cleaners you can remove the stem to use pipe cleaner if needed. My three smoke very dry though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beowulf, I'd call that a full-bent apple. An Oom-Paul, also called a Hungarian, makes nearly a complete U-turn, no angling off. It is a great shape for hanging a big chamber off your jaw with it feeling like not much weight at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Oom Paul has a flat bottom and a near fully bent shank. Named for Paul Kruger (nicknamed "Oom Paul" or Uncle Paul), president of the Transvaal in the late 1800s during the Boer War--his favorite shape of pipe.

View attachment 224189
The Hungarian has a fully bent shank and round or flat bottom. Above lithograph or whatever, shows Kruger smoking a pipe, not a Hungarian, or the poorly named "Uncle Paulie".
No one has produced a photo or litho of the prick smoking a Hungarian.
Such a shame some call it a name associated with that bastard.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Such a shame some call it a name associated with that bastard.
It seems to have originated with Charles Peterson himself and was asked for by customers as a bent dutch ... how did it even get associated with PK ??? (other than that his friends custom ordered him a large bent dutch). I disagree that it is revisionist history to refuse to call it an Oom Paul ... I think ... it is revisionist history to call it that !

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
I was waiting for the moment when Mr Kruger bashing starts, just like in almost every board and thread where the shape is dicussed :mad:
Demonizing victims of British imperialism is lately thought of as kinda untrendy thing - unless, of course, the victim is white. Only then you may go full Cecil Rhodes without risking to be "cancelled" for being a Cecil Rhodes :mad::mad:

Reactions: Beowoulf

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I was waiting for the moment when Mr Kruger bashing starts, just like in almost every board and thread where the shape is dicussed :mad:
Demonizing victims of British imperialism is lately thought of as kinda untrendy thing - unless, of course, the victim is white. Only then you may go full Cecil Rhodes without risking to be "cancelled" for being a Cecil Rhodes :mad::mad:
End of the second page and you are the only one that has brought anything like this up. Should i add little mad faces too?

Reactions: Beowoulf