Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Clothing is and has always been a form of communication.

Why communicate that you think of yourself as bland wallpaper by in essence, wearing exactly what everyone else is wearing?

Having fun with your immediate environment is no different than smoking a calabash, churchwarden, or dare I say, a blowfish designed briar.

The Fez, for pipe smokers, is a wonderful way to remind yourself that you do not take yourself so seriously.

It looks silly and yes, it can make the person wearing it look sillier.

But when you stop worrying about that, amazing things happen.

Women throw themselves at you and want to have uninhibited sex; investors seek out your counsel, private clubs ask you to come to the front of the line and usher you right into the club; and did I mention the sex.

Well, I am NOT joking. The only time I dumb down my dress is when I am just too tired to .... any longer and need my sleep.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Clothing is and has always been a form of communication.

Why communicate that you think of yourself as bland wallpaper by in essence, wearing exactly what everyone else is wearing?

Having fun with your immediate environment is no different than smoking a calabash, churchwarden, or dare I say, a blowfish designed briar.

The Fez, for pipe smokers, is a wonderful way to remind yourself that you do not take yourself so seriously.

It looks silly and yes, it can make the person wearing it look sillier.

But when you stop worrying about that, amazing things happen.

Women throw themselves at you and want to have uninhibited sex; investors seek out your counsel, private clubs ask you to come to the front of the line and usher you right into the club; and did I mention the sex.

Well, I am NOT joking. The only time I dumb down my dress is when I am just too tired to .... any longer and need my sleep.
Damn devil's cap. Telescopes friend, I think I'll finally go buy a fez, in the Moroccan neighborhood store near my house. Did you talk about a lot of sex? 🤩🥳😃😜😆🥹

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't the Shriners have almost an exclusive on Fezes (sp?) in the US? And ride around in go karts at country fairs?

Anyone got a reason to keep this going?
I guess Shriners are best known for fezzes in US. Did hang around with them back in high school. Was in their pipe band. They do have keystone cop thing during parades, but not all the temples do that. Some rides miniature Harley. And the temple the band belonged to had the pipes and drums. They actually do a lot of good deeds. And know how to have a good time.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Don't the Shriners have almost an exclusive on Fezes (sp?) in the US? And ride around in go karts at country fairs?

Anyone got a reason to keep this going?
Yes. The Fez is the perfect hat for pipe smoking. It keeps your hair smelling nice and when you are wearing it, reminds your family members NOT to bother you.

In all honesty, while many of our members DO NOT subscribe or condone pipe smoking customs, MANY of us do embrace the "culture".

And a rich culture it is.

We have customs for choosing our pipes,
for packing the bowl,
for lighting the tobacco,
for keeping it lit,
for tamping,
for dumping the ash,
for cleaning the pipe after the smoke,
for storing the pipe.

We have customs for how we sit while we smoke,
what we wear when we smoke,
and what we and how we think while we smoke.

Of course the amount one immerses themselves in the culture is up to the individual.

Embrace none of it or all of it or just parts of it.

The Fez is NOT a silly hat. It is whatever you want to make it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I do have a fez. "42". For the Towel Day. Pretty much enjoyed DNA's books. H2G2, and others. Was looking for the third book of that holistic detective story and found out he passed away. Been waiting for time to pick it up since they only make it on the Towel Day. But I do like it.