PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Just for the record. I'm now lighting my pipe with zippo like a pro, not even a burn on the rim. From denial to (near) perfection in one week ;) thanks all.
I suggest strongly trying the pipe insert. I had a bit of difficulty with the regular insert, but I love the pipe insert - I can direct the flame without danger or searing the rim of the bowl. You can pick one up cheaply for a Zippo. Just make sure it fits your model - it doesn't fit every model.
And a general comment on Zippos, as with so many different things - there are many different positions, some more dug in than others. That being said, there is a lot of experience in the forum too. You may like the Zippo, you many not, for various reasons. But that doesn't mean it's not a good choice for someone else. For me, a 100% outdoor smoker, it's a game changer, even if I prefer Butane for my cigars.

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I suggest strongly trying the pipe insert. I had a bit of difficulty with the regular insert, but I love the pipe insert - I can direct the flame without danger or searing the rim of the bowl. You can pick one up cheaply for a Zippo. Just make sure it fits your model - it doesn't fit every model.
Thanks, maybe one day when I get bored :) For now a regular zippo is good enough, I'm getting a grip of it. And the secret is to tilt you head and don't let the flame touch the bowl, just the tobacco in the middle of it. That's my newbie experience :) And well, I'm more into minimalism.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
My local ACE Hardware has a sub-$4 refillable butane lighter based on the BIC EZ-REACH.

Zippo is blech. Even the smell makes me ill. I couldn't give a toot about the style of my lighter, just want to light my pipe so it doesn't taste or smell like naphtha.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, you are arguing that most people prefer the smell of Zippo liquid fuel over practically odorless butane?

You will have to supply something to back that up.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
So, you are arguing that most people prefer the smell of Zippo liquid fuel over practically odorless butane?

You will have to supply something to back that up.
I didn't say prefer, I said most use liquid fuel due to them not knowing about the butane inserts. Unless someone is specifically looking for butane, they just buywhats avaliable and go with that.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You seem to be referring solely to the universe of Zippo users when you say "most".

Anyway, I doubt anyone can come up with figures on usage of either liquid fuel or butane. And no one is going to run a poll here to find out even among the faithful here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Then your original statement is reduced to "Zippo users are fine with using liquid fuel." Don't see your point on that especially given your statement that many don't know of the butane inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.