PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Do you pack extremely tight? I never use more than a pass or two of a lighter to light a pipe.
No, not at all. I don't even pack tightly, let alone extremely tight (for reference, "average" sized pipes like Savinelli KS 315 prince or my Chacom 871 bent apple type range, .78-.81" diameter by 1.2-1.4" depth chambers I put about 2/3 of a rubbed out Mac Baren Flake size worth of tobacco, which isn't jambed it and goes up to the rim, not packed halfway down in). And it's not like it takes forever to light a pipe, but it definitely takes longer than lighting a cigarette does. But I also do make a charring light before actually lighting.

After the charring light, when I do light, it's only like that, a pass or two. But the charring light does take longer.

Now one thing, I don't dry my tobacco at all, however wet it is in the tin is how wet it is going in the pipe, unless it's like sopping wet, then it might get 10 min dry time.

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Nope, I've never tasted fuel from my Zippo, the OP is either doing it wrong or is very sensitive. I keep using Zippos as they are nearly 100% reliable, simple to maintain and refill, plus they work in the wind. I've found Bic EZ reach to be pretty handy inside.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I've used a Zippo with a pipe insert for the entirety of my smoking "career". I've never tasted lighter fluid, but I DO always let the built up fuel burn off for about five seconds. The flame then dies down to a manageable size and I'm able to light without issue. Could it be you're holding the lighter too close to the leaf, as well? You need a little distance, and pull the flame down with your draw so it just kisses the tobacco.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The instructions were rubbish. I'll try again many times, thanks for the tip.
There’s nothing wrong with the instructions, the company knows a little bit about its product and also has the instructions in video form - easy to understand, or just watch one of many vids readily available elsewhere.

You dismiss pipe inserts but haven’t tried any - folks taking the time to make suggestions actually have, no reason to be dismissive.

Reactions: El Capitán

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Very suitable for pipes with the insert. My negatives are that I can always taste the fuel when lighting with them, and the capacity is low compared to traditional pipes lighters. I also prefer pipe tools built into the lighter.

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
Theres also a butane soft flame pipe insert that is readily available. No fuel evaporation. Stays full. No taste of lighter fluid. Always works. I bought one and swap it into whichever zippo case I am using.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I must have over a dozen Zippo lighters and for years now the only models I buy are the Armor case series that are 50% heavier.

When I buy a new Zippo I also buy a package of 6 flints and store those under the felt bottom.

I will use a Bic lighter if a Zippo isn’t handy. Bic lighters do not work outside and don’t have a satisfying click when they open anywhere.

I’ve tried the pipe inserts and the butane inserts and prefer the traditional Zippo.

I can’t taste the fuel.

I turn my pipe sideways to avoid charring the rim.

Reactions: captpat

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
After reading through some of the comments about Zippo's and liquid fuel I will have to revisit. Possibly my technique or lack thereof caused the fuel taste.

Reactions: Briar Lee
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I've not tasted the fluid from a Zippo, for cigarettes or pipes, since switching to Ronsonol fluid.
This 👆

I use a Zippo with Ronsonol the majority of the time and I rarely, if ever, taste the fluid. And if I do, it's gone after a few seconds.

Regarding not much flame going up, grab some tweezers and pull the wick up a little more, you'll get a flame then.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I just bought the new pipe butane insert by zippo brand, and enjoy using it, no complaints. I’ve heard Z pipe or Z plus makes a decent cheaper butane pipe insert too, that generally gets good reviews.

Reactions: Briar Lee

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I know some people love their Zippos but I think they are complete crap for pipe smoking.

When I started smoking back in Feb, I bought two MM Prides and went to town. After a couple of months, they looked great and were nicely broken in, I had done some light mods as well with some plaster and stains. Nice little pipes, great smokers.

Well, one day, I acquired an old zippo and started smoking with it. Suddenly, all my blends tasted terrible, and I woke up the next day with a nasty chemical burn all over the inside of my mouth. I took a few days off but didn't put 2+2 together until the next time I went to light one of the cobbs and the dry draw just reeked of lighter fluid. The cobs got reamed back to bare wood as best I could, but the bottom of the bowls were just hideous. Both went into the trash. Thank god I didn't skank out a good briar!

I'll take a refillable, clean-burning butane lighter over the Zippo any day.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've not tasted the fluid from a Zippo, for cigarettes or pipes, since switching to Ronsonol fluid.
This 👆

I use a Zippo with Ronsonol the majority of the time and I rarely, if ever, taste the fluid. And if I do, it's gone after a few seconds.

Regarding not much flame going up, grab some tweezers and pull the wick up a little more, you'll get a flame then.
Yep. It's exactly how I do it, down to the fuel.
Both fuels are made by the same company.

Reactions: mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.