PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I just reviewed my new pipe lighter insert on my zippo. No fuel taste. Certainly an aroma upon opening the zippo, and inhaling that could lead to leukemia. However, the volatile compounds should combust upon ignition or shortly thereafter. I am not a scientist, but I can tell you after using butane lighters exclusively, then upgrading to the pipe-insert zippo, the experience is just as good (but better for me). Good luck.

Zlyner

Lurker
Aug 17, 2022
I like zippo, and to me the smell of fuel is not a big problem.
But I really hate to change flint/wick or clean the wheel, so I'm using butane now.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Definitely, get a pipe insert and be sure to burn of fuel for a few seconds before you start to light. I love my Zippo.

Reactions: GenXApex

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
Zippos are very cool, a pleasure to hold in the hand, reliable, windproof, and not a problem in terms of fouling the tobacco (that's nonsense). But they do dry out really quickly and I haven't found that the gaskets really help that much. I don't smoke that often so that factor alone leads me to use other lighters. If I am going out somewhere and plan to smoke I will fill one up.

Reactions: GenXApex

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've never liked a liquid fuel lighter for my pipe so I never used a Zippo. Then, back in the late 90s, Zippo came out with a butane lighter. It was very nicely made, heavy and worked like a dream, so I used one around my shop and as a result sold quite a few. Then, all of a sudden, about a year later they were no longer available. A Zippo rep told me that the manufacturer who was making them for Zippo said they were loosing money on each one and they were going to have to raise the price quite a bit. So, Zippo dropped them.

I continued to use the lighter until I sold my store and then it went into a drawer with all the other "high end" lighters I've accumulated. I though I would put a pic of the lighter in this post so I did a Google search. To my great surprise I couldn't find a single pic. So, here are a couple of shots I took. Sorry the second one is a little fuzzy, guess I flinched! puffy

IMG_20240116_130435.jpg

IMG_20240116_130445.jpg

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
The pipe version of the lighter fluid type Zippo is perfect for a pipe. I use a solid brass one with very large hole on the side to enable to flame to come out the side. I use Zippo fluid because it is a less orderous taste unlike Ronsenol. Let it burn a bit before letting flame come close to tobacco without getting the flame into the tobacco to avoid a kerosene like flavoring. Unless you like that. 😉 Mmmm Kerosene. A new limited blend from...

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The pipe version of the lighter fluid type Zippo is perfect for a pipe. I use a solid brass one with very large hole on the side to enable to flame to come out the side. I use Zippo fluid because it is a less orderous taste unlike Ronsenol. Let it burn a bit before letting flame come close to tobacco without getting the flame into the tobacco to avoid a kerosene like flavoring. Unless you like that. 😉 Mmmm Kerosene. A new limited blend from...
No offence, but you just made my case as to why you shouldn't use a liquid fuel lighter on a pipe. puffy

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I smoke my pipe pretty much only outside. i haven't found a butane lighter, including "wind proof" ones, that won't blow out in the slightest breeze. My windproof Zippo pipe lighter works great, and I get no fuel taste at all. It DOES evaporate fuel, so I give it a squirt of fuel every time I come back in.
Marty

Attachments

• pipe lighter - tamper .jpg
    pipe lighter - tamper .jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Status
Not open for further replies.