PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sean.

Lurker
Feb 6, 2024
New England
This little pipe can smoke a crumble cake for over an hour:

1707540537723.jpeg

And this clay German tavern pipe can easily smoke anything for over two hours... It can be annoying actually.

1707540772548.jpeg

Many pipes are normally between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Ribbons will smoke faster and require less relights and crumble cakes will smoke slower and require more frequent relights.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
This little pipe can smoke a crumble cake for over an hour:

View attachment 287164

And this clay German tavern pipe can easily smoke anything for over two hours... It can be annoying actually.

View attachment 287168

Many pipes are normally between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Ribbons will smoke faster and require less relights and crumble cakes will smoke slower and require more frequent relights.
@sean. The longest I've ever got out of a clay pipe is 54min with St Bruno Ready Rubbed...

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The clay pipe in my picture has a pretty large bowl compared to most clay pipes. I also have to pack it pretty light due to the long and narrow draft hole.
@sean. My longest stem clay pipe is the best one for lighting with an ember from the blacksmith's forge at Viking & Redcoat re-enactments. I've told Jason the blacksmith I'll have my clay ready when I see him again!

Attachments

• Cromford pipelighter.JPG
    Cromford pipelighter.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 11

sean.

Lurker
Feb 6, 2024
New England
@sean. My longest stem clay pipe is the best one for lighting with an ember from the blacksmith's forge at Viking & Redcoat re-enactments. I've told Jason the blacksmith I'll have my clay ready when I see him again!
That's really cool! It also helps that they require minimal relights (sometimes none) so you won't be bugging the blacksmith too much. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: The Clay King

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As understand it, the burning period of the pipe I have (20x30mm) is 10-13 min. If you take breaks and relight it afterwords you can say it lasted for 40 min or an hour. So it's a matter of choice if you smoke it all at once or prolong the process.

I did go on youtube after I started this thread and saw people barely producing any smoke, not inhaling and claiming it was all about the taste. I certainly don't want to offend anyone and I respect each one's ways but this is just not for me. I want it all and now ;)

I got a great deal of information from this thread, thanks!
well they're sort of right. The whole it's all about the flavor thing is suspect to me. But one you don't inhale and you'll actually get more of everything going slower.
Facts smoking is just old school vaping. Seriously when you burn tobacco it kills everything good in it. The heat from the ember vaporizes the oils and nicotine in the tobacco outside of the ember. You get more nicotine and more relaxation and flavor and less sore mouth by sipping on a pipe. Smoking fast is like chugging booze by throwing the drink in your face.
If that's not what you're after there's probably a better way for you to enjoy tobacco then a pipe.
Oh and inhaling doesn't increase nicotine in your system. It just gets it into your blood and into your brain faster. Sipping the smoke and letting it stay in your headial (not a real word, but whatever) region of the body gets all the nicotine but in a nice slow manner that because of how nicotine works gives you a more relaxing effect.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, he left in a huff, but I am not closing this one now as others are benefitting from the posts ongoing.
Reminds me of this guy that just left his job at my work. He'd ask me stupid questions and get frustrated because I didn't tell him he was right. He was a spoiled brat anyways. Ever met someone and think they're in their 20s and get shocked to find out their are in their 30s because they're so immature it seems impossible?

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Ironically, I recently watched a video by a fellow named John, who passed away a few years ago, but goes by the YT title of Matches860. I am certain many of you are familiar with him.

Anyway, he was reviewing Mac Baren HH Dark Fire and he said that it smokes very slow. Said that sometimes it takes him 30 minutes to smoke a bowl.

If you have seen his videos, he has a somewhat different approach to puffing the pipe as he just barely places the tip in his mouth but he puffs very fast. I don't think I could smoke that fast without getting a head rush or severe bite.

I'm sorry that he has passed as he seemed like a very likeable fellow.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
For me, pipe times can vary quite a bit. I like to smoke churchwardens along with reading an old book outdoors. The churchwarden pipes I've bought all have relatively small bowls, and sitting outside, they'll usually last me 30 or 40 minutes. I smoke slowly, and I have no problem with having to relight, but I always relight right when I notice they're going out. I smoked a few bowls in my basement this past winter, and was surprised to find that indoors I can generally go for an hour.
I've bought some larger pipes off ebay and turned them into churchwardens so that I could have a longer smoke, and larger pipes DO last longer for me. Usually an hour outside. One very large "chimney pipe" ran me for an hour and a half, (occasionally dumping the ash off the top,) and that was a bit too much for me. Maybe if I'd had some kind of drink handy to sip on...

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Most smoking sessions with one bowl holding 3-5 grams lasts one hour or more for me. Sometimes a corn cob pipe lasts a little less time.
Me too. That’s why I usually get interrupted. Bought a MM general the other day. Haven’t smoked it. Looked at the size and asked myself who I’m kidding. I’ll never have the time to finish that.

I usually end up putting a wind cap on my pipes part way through and finish it whenever I can. Usually not for a couple days. Sometimes the saved part gets so dry before I get around to it that I have to toss it out. Waste of tobacco. At Canadian prices, it makes me shed a small tear.

Reactions: Dr. Van Loafer

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
Me too. That’s why I usually get interrupted. Bought a MM general the other day. Haven’t smoked it. Looked at the size and asked myself who I’m kidding. I’ll never have the time to finish that.

I usually end up putting a wind cap on my pipes part way through and finish it whenever I can. Usually not for a couple days. Sometimes the saved part gets so dry before I get around to it that I have to toss it out. Waste of tobacco. At Canadian prices, it makes me shed a small tear.
Yeah I tend to like smaller bowls or with a larger bowl fill it half way.