PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Depends on the size of the chamber and your cadence as a smoker. Average size pipes can go 1hour to 1 and a half hours. Larger pipes can go to 2 hours or 2 and 1/2 hours. The goal is to smoke slowly to enjoy the flavors. That's shy they have slow smoking championships. See also :

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Lots factors come into play :-

1) the size of the chamber
2) the cut of the tobacco. Shag is going to burn faster than ribbon. Flakes, coins, plugs will burn slowest. But it depends on whether you rub them out or cube cut them or fold and stuff
3) how you pack - loose vs crammed in
4) ambient weather - very dry or high humidity
5) whether you sip or puff

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The chamber size is the indicator of how long a bowl will last. Usually the deeper the chamber the longer the smoke.

.75in x 1.5in would be a standard chamber size. What kind of pipe have you been smoking thus far?

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I've got pipes that I smoke for well over an hour. A 10 - 13 minute smoke would be a short one. Are you smoking really small pipes? A 0.75in dia x 1.5in depth bowl can easily be over a 40 min smoke for me. Depends on how you fill the chamber and how fast you smoke.
Mine is 2cm wide 3cm deep (0.75 by 1.18 inches). Yes, probably I smoke it fast, but if I leave it unattended for a minute I have to light it again, which I hate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bbailey324

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Lots factors come into play :-

1) the size of the chamber
2) the cut of the tobacco. Shag is going to burn faster than ribbon. Flakes, coins, plugs will burn slowest. But it depends on whether you rub them out or cube cut them or fold and stuff
3) how you pack - loose vs crammed in
4) ambient weather - very dry or high humidity
5) whether you sip or puff

I suspect my tobacco is too dry. I've put it in the box to humidify it a bit. Trial and error, isn't it? I tend to inhale, otherwise what's the point of smoking? Nice notion on the cut, I'll think about it.

Thanks bro.

Reactions: OzPiper

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I tend to inhale, otherwise what's the point of smoking?
This may be the issue.

I suspect that inhaling is causing you to smoke at a higher cadence than if you weren't. Non inhalers tend to smoke for the relaxation and flavors that the tobacco imparts, the nicotine is a happy side effect to all of the former.

To answer your question, "what's the point of smoking" without inhaling - you still get nicotine when not inhaling. If nicotine conveyance is your only objective then have at it. However to achieve a longer smoke and have a better shot at enjoying the flavors imparted by your chosen blend I recommend slowing your cadence and retrohaling (breathing the smoke out your nose while pushing your tongue to the roof of your mouth). Retro with a big pull of hot smoke and you'll likely not enjoy it. Do this with a bit of cool smoke and you'll find those flavors. Like everything else YMMV...

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I suspect my tobacco is too dry. I've put it in the box to humidify it a bit. Trial and error, isn't it? I tend to inhale, otherwise what's the point of smoking? Nice notion on the cut, I'll think about it.

Thanks bro.
Another couple of points...

I wouldn't recommend humidifying pipe tobacco. It is generally packaged as moist as it needs to be and often on the side that requires further drying, not further introduction of moisture.

Your tobacco almost certainly isn't too dry. Many here advocate bone dry tobacco, not so much so that it crunches under pressure, but just shy of that mark. I don't tend to dry my tobacco prior to smoking but many here will pack a bowl the night before they intend to smoke or simply leave it out to dry anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Some even microwave it to draw out moisture prior to lighting up. The climate and humidity where you live plays a part, but I'd wager to dry isn't your issue.

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Another couple of points...

I wouldn't recommend humidifying pipe tobacco. It is generally packaged as moist as it needs to be and often on the side that requires further drying, not further introduction of moisture.

Your tobacco almost certainly isn't too dry. Many here advocate bone dry tobacco, not so much so that it crunches under pressure, but just shy of that mark. I don't tend to dry my tobacco prior to smoking but many here will pack a bowl the night before they intend to smoke or simply leave it out to dry anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Some even microwave it to draw out moisture prior to lighting up. The climate and humidity where you live plays a part, but I'd wager to dry isn't your issue.

That's my homemade tobacco, cut into nice long stripes but with this low winter humidity it does crumble when pushed it into the pipe. I need to experiment more. Thanks, brandaves.

Reactions: brandaves

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
This may be the issue.

I suspect that inhaling is causing you to smoke at a higher cadence than if you weren't. Non inhalers tend to smoke for the relaxation and flavors that the tobacco imparts, the nicotine is a happy side effect to all of the former.

To answer your question, "what's the point of smoking" without inhaling - you still get nicotine when not inhaling. If nicotine conveyance is your only objective then have at it. However to achieve a longer smoke and have a better shot at enjoying the flavors imparted by your chosen blend I recommend slowing your cadence and retrohaling (breathing the smoke out your nose while pushing your tongue to the roof of your mouth). Retro with a big pull of hot smoke and you'll likely not enjoy it. Do this with a bit of cool smoke and you'll find those flavors. Like everything else YMMV...

No that isn't for me. I judge tobacco by the throat hit, that's what e-sig smokers were looking for, back in days. My leaves have a tremendous hit, a bit too much :) Don't see a point in "puffing".

Reactions: brandaves

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I've got pipes that I smoke for well over an hour. A 10 - 13 minute smoke would be a short one. Are you smoking really small pipes? A 0.75in dia x 1.5in depth bowl can easily be over a 40 min smoke for me. Depends on how you fill the chamber and how fast you smoke.
When you smoke a pipe for 40 min, how many times do you re-light it? Or is it a continuous glowing for 40 min?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Depends. It could last a couple of life times if taken cared of. If you smoke it like the old timers, you just buy a new one whenever yours burn out or too caked to be bothered with.

Reactions: JOHN72

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don’t consider myself a slow smoker. A bowl that size is around 45 minutes for me. The last five trying to get the last bits :)
My bowls are all .78" - .80" in diameter and vary from about 1.2" to 1.4" deep and all take between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, and I'm not a slow smoker either.

Something isn't making sense here. How's the OP not melted his tongue off or exploded a hole in the pipe? And if actually inhaling, can't be pipe tobacco... 1-2 grams inhaled in 10 minutes would likely make you puke your guts out with nicotine poisoning*. Has to be smoking cigarette tobacco or not actually inhaling, or just having the world's record for loosest pack?

*for reference, 1 gram of pipe tobacco has 30-50 mg nicotine whereas a 1 gram cigarette has 10-15 mg of nicotine.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-beard

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
How's the OP not melted his tongue off or exploded a hole in the pipe? And if actually inhaling, can't be pipe tobacco... 1-2 grams inhaled in 10 minutes would likely make you puke your guts out with nicotine poisoning*. Has to be smoking cigarette tobacco or not actually inhaling, or just having the world's record for loosest pack?
@viktor posted above that it’s home grown, dried and cut to strips.
I’m no educated man regarding tobacco processing, but without knowing which variety and what the curing truly entails I would suspect this may have something to do with it.
I clench and basically do a modified breath method with a lot of retro and a fair amount of actual inhaling that slips in. I smoke faster than many, but keep it to where a thinner stummel doesn’t get painfully hot to touch. Frying of the tongue more than the pipe has modified my cadence.
I chain smoke an ecig when I am awake or not smoking a pipe (but have grabbed for my vape while enjoying a light blend in a pipe), and before that I averaged two packs of cigs a day. Getting through lengthy meetings or flights required nicotine pouches or gum.
I prefer pipes greatly over cigars because I cannot smoke a cigar without unconsciously slipping into inhaling as I would a cigarette. Nicotine consumption like this is probably why I’ve gravitated to stronger VA/dark fired blends.

On the true topic at hand, .75”x1.2” pipe chambers are my favored size and most blends get me between 25-50 minutes (depending on cut/pack) with a small amount of moist dottle knocked out more often than not.

Last edited:

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
When you smoke a pipe for 40 min, how many times do you re-light it? Or is it a continuous glowing for 40 min?
Depends on the specific tobacco and what I'm doing. If I'm paying attention I might relight 3 or 4 times. If I'm talking or doing something distracting it will be more.

Reactions: Jacob74