PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
If you hate relights don't try HH Rustica. I guess if I was smoking some quick lighting tobacco, I might get done in 30-45 minutes. Most my pipes last 60-90 minutes. Relax and enjoy your smoking instead of trying to get it over with. Relights are a part of the game.
OK, I'll try that approach :) Thanks all for replies!

Reactions: kcghost

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Mine is 2cm wide 3cm deep (0.75 by 1.18 inches). Yes, probably I smoke it fast, but if I leave it unattended for a minute I have to light it again, which I hate.
Thats a 20mmx30mm chamber so you should be able to go 30-50 minutes if you smoke slow. The goal is to just keep the ember lit not stoked. If you smoke it like a cigarrette or cigar then you're missing all the flavor. Its counterintuitive.

Reactions: BenMN and Jacob74

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Lots factors come into play :-

1) the size of the chamber
2) the cut of the tobacco. Shag is going to burn faster than ribbon. Flakes, coins, plugs will burn slowest. But it depends on whether you rub them out or cube cut them or fold and stuff
3) how you pack - loose vs crammed in
4) ambient weather - very dry or high humidity
5) whether you sip or puff
Yep! My pipes last anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours depending on these details above.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Two hours
20231221_132441.jpg

Three hours
004-009-13180-6375-jpg.43440

Four hours
20231121_024232.jpg

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Depends on the specific tobacco and what I'm doing. If I'm paying attention I might relight 3 or 4 times. If I'm talking or doing something distracting it will be more.

As understand it, the burning period of the pipe I have (20x30mm) is 10-13 min. If you take breaks and relight it afterwords you can say it lasted for 40 min or an hour. So it's a matter of choice if you smoke it all at once or prolong the process.

I did go on youtube after I started this thread and saw people barely producing any smoke, not inhaling and claiming it was all about the taste. I certainly don't want to offend anyone and I respect each one's ways but this is just not for me. I want it all and now ;)

I got a great deal of information from this thread, thanks!

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
What a hostile moderator, locked almost all my threads :( OK folks it's been fun (perhaps rather short) but that's it for me, I didn't come here to fight. Keep puffing, good luck and cheers!

Knocking the moderators and being argumentative with nearly every established member of this forum, in nearly every single thread you've been involved with is not a problem with the forum or the moderator. You may want to evaluate your behavior.

Stick around, be involved, listen and learn.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mine is 2cm wide 3cm deep (0.75 by 1.18 inches). Yes, probably I smoke it fast, but if I leave it unattended for a minute I have to light it again, which I hate.
That size will do me approximately an hour.
Part of pipe smoking is sometimes your pipe will require relights. What don't you like about having to relight?
If you're smoking it that fast there is a chance you could be smoking it too hot as well and damaging your pipe.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive got my smokes pretty much down to time in most my pipes. In some pipes with bigger chambers I put meer chips in the bottom to take some space as well as to keep it nice and dry. I find that 45 minutes is a perfect smoke for me. Its enough to satisfy and still want a little touch more. If the smoke goes further I tend to stop really attending to it. My thinking is this isnt especially a healthy habit. If Im going to do it I want to enjoy it. Otherwise, just put it down. Of course everyone is different. I admitt to a little ADHD so that works for me. I also seem to have a little sensivitity. If I smoke more than my body likes I tend to get an uncomfortable throat. The limit seems to be 2 bowls a day max. So I smoke pipes I really like and blends I really like. Its an indulgence. Its handy that my constitution does not like too much abuse. Otherwise Id smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What a hostile moderator, locked almost all my threads :( OK folks it's been fun (perhaps rather short) but that's it for me, I didn't come here to fight. Keep puffing, good luck and cheers!
Viktor- No one owns a thread, not even the person who started it. I closed two threads that you started, nothing personal. When any thread gets contentious, it's a candidate for a lock.

Sorry you felt put upon.