PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john3music

Lurker
Jan 31, 2024
Waco, Texas
john3music.com
Mine does 10-13 minutes. Are there bigger pipes that you can smoke for a half an hour or more? There must be some metrics to figure this out. Sorry if this is a stupid question :) Cheers.
That’s a great question. Bowl size and depth, along with how you pack, plus the cut of the tobacco all factor in to how long a smoke will be. A mid size bowl could give you that 30-45 smoke.

Reactions: anotherbob

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Mine almost always go 80 minutes give or take a few, but everyone is different as we can see from the feedback so far. As long as you're enjoying it.

Jul 12, 2011
This Perry White Mag Dublin Blast monster has a 1"chamber diameter weighing in at over 4oz ( I would like to see anyone clench this one and still have teeth and jaw left afterward a 1hr smoke session , haha ) and a bowl depth you would need to drop a glow-stick in to see the bottom, so could well smoke over 1hr+
1706852562749.png

but this one - maybe 15-30min; Chamber diameter; .60in, , weight; .60oz
1706852874919.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This Perry White Mag Dublin Blast monster has a 1"chamber diameter weighing in at over 4oz ( I would like to see anyone clench this one and still have teeth and jaw left afterward a 1hr smoke session , haha ) and a bowl depth you would need to drop a glow-stick in to see the bottom, so could well smoke over 1hr+
That's actually about the size of my smaller pipes. An easy clencher due to my lack of teeth.

20231031_144938.jpg

A looser pack may help or a smaller bowl.
+1 for chasingembers, but also it takes more time to absorb the nicotine. So, if one is trying to get in a speedy smoke, there really isn't a point... unless they inhale... in which case, if one wants more nicotine faster, cigarettes would be better. Cigarettes came about as we lost luxury time to smoke a pipe to a faster paced life which led to cigarettes. Just huffing through a bowl is risking your pipe, a waste of tobacco, and you don't really get any of the benefits we usually seek in smoking a pipe. At that point, it merely becomes an affectation. IMO

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Looks like the OP left...

Time is also another interesting subject I see people always asking about besides relights.

A pipe can last as long as you want it, it doesn’t matter how big or small. It only depends on how slow or fast you want to smoke.

I’ll be honest, in this so called leisure past time, people always concerned, bothered or talking about Time & Relighting, seems quite odd.

I’ve never cared about the time, or relighting pipe ever.

Also, just because you pack the entire pipe, doesn’t mean you have to smoke all of it too.

Smoke at your own cadence, and smoke whatever amount you feel like.

It’s all a preference...

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I tend to inhale, otherwise what's the point of smoking?

No that isn't for me. I judge tobacco by the throat hit, that's what e-sig smokers were looking for, back in days. My leaves have a tremendous hit, a bit too much :) Don't see a point in "puffing".
Sounds like you're smoking the pipe like it's a cigarette. Most members here don't do that. I guess there's nothing wrong with smoking that way, but I don't think you're going to find the advice you're looking for because your smoking style is unorthodox.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
One consideration not discussed is if smoking inside or outside. Everything else being equal being inside makes a bowl lasting at least 30% more as the ventilation outside burns the tobacco faster (and requires less relights).

Reactions: Sigmund

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I guess Im ADHD but after 45 to 60 minutes I find Im really not attending to the pipe enough so have worked out using meer or pottery chips to make most of my pipes fit that time frame (more or less). Occasionlly I load it up and smoke the rest later. Post covid loss of taste Im finally slowing back down. I was puffing during that period trying to squeeze out some taste. It didnt really work but I tried.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
One consideration not discussed is if smoking inside or outside. Everything else being equal being inside makes a bowl lasting at least 30% more as the ventilation outside burns the tobacco faster (and requires less relights).
Never noticed a faster burn outside but the longer smoke time for you indoors may be because of the intermission for need of relighting.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
A standard size bowl usually lasts about 40 minutes for me. Several tamps and relights throughout.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive never timed it but Ive had the impression that I get a little faster burn outside with a light breeze. I dont know if its 30 percent but I FEEL like it happens. Of course that doesnt make it so.

If it actually does happen those of us smoking smaller bowls would probably notice it more than really large ones.