PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
For me on average about 45mins in my trusty Savinelli 105 burning Peterson's Signature Flake. Happy smokes folks puffy

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I almost always clench and I do smoke outdoors/in truck exclusively.
.75”x1.2-1.5” are almost always the size pipes I smoke. 20-40 minutes is normal and almost always my tobacco is dry-ish and rubbed out or ground.
I’m sure I tend to smoke faster than most here, but I’m enjoying myself.

Reactions: BenMN and Choatecav

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I almost always clench and I do smoke outdoors/in truck exclusively.
.75”x1.2-1.5” are almost always the size pipes I smoke. 20-40 minutes is normal and almost always my tobacco is dry-ish and rubbed out or ground.
I’m sure I tend to smoke faster than most here, but I’m enjoying myself.
Hey, if you enjoy it, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

I think folks that clench tend to smoke a bit faster as if you're talking or whatever, air seems to move over the ember. But, because it is a light movement, the bowl doesn't tend to get overheated.

Has that been your experience??

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ironically, I recently watched a video by a fellow named John, who passed away a few years ago, but goes by the YT title of Matches860. I am certain many of you are familiar with him.

Anyway, he was reviewing Mac Baren HH Dark Fire and he said that it smokes very slow. Said that sometimes it takes him 30 minutes to smoke a bowl.

If you have seen his videos, he has a somewhat different approach to puffing the pipe as he just barely places the tip in his mouth but he puffs very fast. I don't think I could smoke that fast without getting a head rush or severe bite.

I'm sorry that he has passed as he seemed like a very likeable fellow.
Yeah - I really liked him - he was one of the people who drew me to pipe smoking from cigars to begin with. A real storyteller.
But even by his own admission, he smoked really fast.

Reactions: BenMN

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Hey, if you enjoy it, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

I think folks that clench tend to smoke a bit faster as if you're talking or whatever, air seems to move over the ember. But, because it is a light movement, the bowl doesn't tend to get overheated.

Has that been your experience??
I breathe, pipe is in mouth-air is always flowing in and out through pipe (YouTube “breath method” for dynamics), unless tongue is blocking bit to stop it.
Pipe can get too warm if I’m not paying attention.
Majority of my smoking is at work (heavy equipment/construction) so I’m driving or doing something with my hands almost always.
Sitting contemplatively and sipping and setting down a pipe is foreign to me.
YMMV

Reactions: Choatecav