PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Well here I was thinking all the threads about Dunhill would be behind us.
Why would you ever think that? We will be talking about Dunhill till the end of the universe. Once their tobacco is all gone, all us old guys can start bragging about how when we started smoking pipes we could buy all the Dunhill we wanted for 5 bucks a tin. And once they no longer make pipes, all of our old Dunhill pipes will be worth a kings ransom and we can brag about how many of those we have. Dunhill topics will never go away so you might want to get used to it. :mrgreen:

May 4, 2015
Remember back when you used to be able to get all the tins of Dunhill and McClelland you wanted all at the same? They even had sales on it for just dollars an ounce. Buy two get one free tin specials... free shipping. Those were crazy times, kids.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
First, get off my lawn! And yes, Dunhill and McClellands were widely available, and at prices a working man could afford. Cough, cough, aaaack! And a new Dunhill pipe was under $500 at some point, so, really, kids, get the eff off my lawn!!
Are you measuring these with some type of device?
Yes, Harris, first I stick my finger up where it's known temperature- 98.6º- oh, wait, that doesn't work for humidity. So, I buy these little hygrometers from Amazon for about $5.00. They work well enough, and I will drop one or two in a bag and reseal, then take a reading the next morning. Takes a lot of guess work out, and I can dry or rehydrate slowly and easily. Even keep 5-8 jars pretty balanced out so I always have some nice choices at the right humidity- and I apparently like it a bit drier than you. As to the dryness part alone, I am in a league with Pease and Oulette! :) Better said: I follow their lead.

May 4, 2015
I don't have any fancy read-moisture-o-meters, but I can tell easily enough when a tobacco is at a good moisture to smoke. I've found Dunhills perfectly smokeable right out of the tin without exception. Might benefit a bit from drying time, but they're certainly serviceable right away.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I don't have any fancy read-moisture-o-meters, but I can tell easily enough when a tobacco is at a good moisture to smoke.
Yep, that's the great thing about this hobby, pastime, vice or whatever your preferred term is. We can dissect the exacting conditions that allow us to tease every last ounce of flavor out of the tobacco or we can go old school and just pack, light, smoke and enjoy. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For five crummy bucks you, too, can have a fancy meter. And I didn't mean to imply folks couldn't smoke it as is and love it. They can and do.
The hygrometers don't do much for those who smoke the same blend out of the same tins or jars for long periods of time; then experience tells them what' s hot and what's not. Also, they're in the same climate, and are seasonably aware. That is, aware of the changes in humidity by season in their locale.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No chance, beating a dead horse is an internet hobby.
That's my cue!
SaPOQ85.gif

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes, Harris, first I stick my finger up where it's known temperature- 98.6º- oh, wait, that doesn't work for humidity. So, I buy these little hygrometers from Amazon for about $5.00. They work well enough, and I will drop one or two in a bag and reseal, then take a reading the next morning. Takes a lot of guess work out, and I can dry or rehydrate slowly and easily. Even keep 5-8 jars pretty balanced out so I always have some nice choices at the right humidity- and I apparently like it a bit drier than you. As to the dryness part alone, I am in a league with Pease and Oulette! :) Better said: I follow their lead.
That may give you a relative measure of humidity (comparing one tin of tobacco to another on a given day) but it does not mean the humidity of the tobacco is 80%. It means the humidity level of the air in the bag is at 80%. There are a number of variables that could significantly skew those readings. Just think about it. If you're getting a reading of 80% for Dunhill, what reading do you think you'd get for a tin of SG FVF? 140%? Well that isn't possible.
If you think that is an accurate method for measuring tobacco moisture level, take a few ounces of tobacco and cook it in the microwave until all the humidity is removed. Put that in the bag with your hygrometer. If it reads 0%, then I guess the method has some credibility. It won't. At 80%, unless you're in the Everglades, your hygrometer is telling you the tobacco released some moisture into the air. That's all.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Right on Hoosier. Tobacco is measured in % dry matter or % moisture. We use relative humidity to regulate moisture in cigars but it takes weeks if not months to make any significant changes in the actual moisture content in the cigar. The only reliable way I know to check the moisture of tobacco is to weigh a sample then dry it out completely and weigh it again to see how much water was in the sample to start with. I have an expensive moisture tester we use to check dry matter on cattle feed for my farm. I will have to run some tobacco samples in it to see what they really are. Those cheap hygrometers aren't very reliable or accurate.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Okay. I have a lifetime supply of x, y, z already cellared and I'm all set. Work for you? :)
Matches your MO. Just because you're so predictable, doesn't mean you need to get you're panties in bunch! :rofl:
We're all friends here.

Status
Not open for further replies.