PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Dunhill's current blend iterations are some of the best "straight from the tin" moistened tobaccos, in my opinion. I love Royal Yacht and Elizabethan for this very reason. There is no drying time required.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Dunhill's current blend iterations are some of the best "straight from the tin" moistened tobaccos, in my opinion. I love Royal Yacht and Elizabethan for this very reason. There is no drying time required.
Those are the two I still need to stock up on. I got plenty of their bulk blends and don't really care about hoarding the rest of the line. They'll be back, and if not, I'm fine with that too. I'd rather reward a company that WANTS to stay in the pipe tobacco business with my hard earned money.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
YMMV. Both those blends are tinned at over 80% RH, way too moist for many. There was a guy here who'd get emotional when told that....

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you like Dunhill, you should be buying it. If you don't, their fate is irrelevant. I happen to think their Navy Rolls are the best VaPer flake. I also like the Flake and Dark Flake. Even if Orlik picks up the production, it is unlikely to be the exact same product. I've stocked up with the assumption it will be gone forever. If I'm wrong, great, then I can smoke all I want without concern of ever running short and I'll have aged tobacco to smoke. Seems simple enough.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
It's ridiculous how many fine pipe tobaccos make a good cigarette. Virginia/perique blends are outstanding cigs. I started out rolling Louisiana Red.

Tried some Sutliff Red Virginia last night....a little light but a nice sweet, almost dessert smoke.

And either Dark Birdseye or Kendall Kentucky will actually get you high :)

I even like spiking my D&R Windsail with a little aromatic Hazelnut for a flavored smoke on occasion. All good stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jp, Here are a couple of articles that talk about the moisture content in pipe tobacco. I don't believe anyone tins at 80%.

http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2015/07/the-importance-of-pipe-tobacco-maintenance/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/dust-in-the-wind-a-primer-on-tobacco-moisture/
Whenever I open a tin of Dunhill Flake or Deluxe Navy Rolls, they are at the perfect humidity for my tastes. I like some moisture in my flakes as they burn cooler that way.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Have a tube a dark flake.

Just grabbed another tube of Navy Rolls.
I'm shutting down the Dunhill purchases. As said above, we should continue to support the blenders that are the future.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I like 925, Flake and DNR'S and have a few tins stashed...when they run out I will find replacements...not the end of the world !! I'm not going to check with ebay every 10 minutes and run around like a chicken with it's head cut off seeing who has it like I saw happen with McClelland's. When SPC and P+C run out THAT'S IT !!

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I understand the hoarding of McClelland Virginias. The MacNeils had a special way of preparing their Virginia blends, which are very appealing. Dunhill, though a huge name with a trove of history in our hobby/lifestyle, is not irreplaceable. Its Englishes — EMP, 965 and Nightcap — are good, but Greg Pease makes some outstanding Englishes and does Russ Oulette with Home and Hearth. On the Virginia front, I like Dunhill Flake, but there are lots of good flakes out there. Dunhill makes good Vapers as well — Eliz., Dark Flake and my personal favorite, Navy Rolls. But against, there's Escudo, PS and other blends from Greg and Russ, that are darn good too. I do appreciate that people like "their" blend the best, so buy up now.
This won't stop a McClelland-like panic. When Dunhill blends are on the countdown like we saw with McClelland a month ago, the panic will set in and Dunhill will go to eBay with outrageous prices. However in this case, there are good replacements. Dunhill isn't unique.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree with you cfreud. There are some unique Dunhill mixtures such as Royal Yuck and Nightcap, probably 1 or 2 others. If i liked any of those, I'd be buying enough to keep me happy for 20 years. I happen to like Navy Rolls quite a bit more than Escudo although not so much that I cry when smoking Escudo. There's definitely very, very good alternatives to Flake and Navy Flake. I'll probably level out around 25 tins of each of those and be satisfied with that. There are so many good Virginia Flake and VaPer Flake alternatives, those Dunhill blends are just something to smoke occasionally anyway.
And your analogy compared to McClelland is spot on. Yes, there are lots of other high quality Virginia products. But McClelland's Virginias were very unique. I was reminded of that the past few days when I smoked a bowl of St James Woods and 40th Anniversary.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I think it is strange they released all these old blends just before they announce they will be ceasing production.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Here are a couple of articles that talk about the moisture content in pipe tobacco. I don't believe anyone tins at 80%.
I dunno, most Samuel Gawith flakes are wetter than a can of sardines.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I traded my McClelland tins for Dunhill Dark Flake and Ye Olde Signe tins ( even swap) as McClelland's were okay to me, but I love these two Dunhills. Now I have plenty to work through. I've been trying several new blends and have already found their replacements, which I actually like even more! This has been a bit of a blessing in disguise for me. Now, to start stocking up on these!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The fact that Dunhill has re-released many old blends these last few years indicates, well, something. They might sell their recipes or something...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think it is strange they released all these old blends just before they announce they will be ceasing production."
Very good point Maker and something I have pondered myself.
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One good reason is that sales on their existing line were lackluster. Adding in some revivals would spark renewed interest in the stock they had on hand. Also, these kinds of decisions don't get made in the twinkling of an eye. The decision to revive some old discontinued blends could have preceded the decision to pull the plug on the whole business.

Status
Not open for further replies.