PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"I don't have any fancy read-moisture-o-meters, but I can tell easily enough when a tobacco is at a good moisture to smoke. I've found Dunhills perfectly smokeable right out of the tin without exception. Might benefit a bit from drying time, but they're certainly serviceable right away. "

Amen !

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As long as this thread continues, Dunhill blends will live. If you believe in Dunhill blends, clap your hands.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
If you believe in Dunhill blends, clap your hands.
giphy.gif

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Somehow I missed the naysayers on actually honing in on tobacco moisture:
1.) Cigars' moisture level changes very slowly; cut or ready rubbed tobacco, relatively easily. (though days for major changes)

2.) Moisture level in solid matter, be it wood, tobacco or corn, is measured with scientific (expensive) equipment. For tobacco the moisture level is usually in the teens.

3.) Relative humidity, at a given temperature, translates to moisture levels.

4.) Tobacco and a hygrometer (I use two to get more accurate readings when important) placed in an airtight jar will give a very good proxy of its moisture over time.

5.) If your air is 85% RH and you leave your jar open, the moisture will climb; the reverse is true if the ambient air is less than the tobacco's RH.

6.) The $5.00 hygrometers are hardly scientific-grade, but light years better than the guesses made by some.

7.) Smoke what you like and how you like it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been pickup tins of MM965 all last year, 4-6 per month. Almost all of those had Dec 2016 production dates. (at Cigars Unlimited in PA).

Last week, they had a whole drawer full of MM965 and those were production dated Dec. 2017.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
11 to 13 % moisture for pipe blends is usually the norm.
I prefer it a bit dryer than most. YMMV.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Will somebody please post a picture of Tinkerbell?
(One of these days I will learn how to post gifs on this dinosaur of a forum. No offense mods)

Status
Not open for further replies.