PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What? What? Orlik is opting to pick up Dunhill blends after making them for years anyway? I think I missed a few turns in this story. Last time I was predicting this -- someone picking up the Dunhill blends as a going concern -- I was being my usual starry-eyed optimistic self. So it turns out Orlik has the ball (and has had it for years). Sometimes optimism is just how it is. Hmmm. Pardon me while I get my balance. And Dunhill blends had a nice bump in sales in the ensuing excitement.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What? What? Orlik is opting to pick up Dunhill blends after making them for years anyway?
Except that they haven't been "Dunhill" blends. They are Orlik blends with the Dunhill name stamped on them. So Orlik keeps making them, and calls them something different.
For those who think that the blends taste better with the Dunhill name on them, I suggest that you save your old tins and just keep refilling them.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Except that they haven't been "Dunhill" blends. They are Orlik blends with the Dunhill name stamped on them. So Orlik keeps making them, and calls them something different.
But blended to the original recipes, right? So to be fair, they're sort of in between a Dunhill and an Orlik blend.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
so a Nightcap by any other name would taste as sweet?
What if I told you that Nightcap and Capt. Monochromatic Grape were the exact same blend, but with different labels?
But blended to the original recipes, right? So to be fair, they're sort of in between a Dunhill and an Orlik blend.
I guess. But what matters here is that Dunhill hasn't made pipe tobacco in decades.

May 4, 2015
For whatever a "recipe" is worth. They still can only blend with the tobaccos they have at their disposal, which are almost certainly not the same as days gone by.
To my mind, any tobacco that's reissued or made by a different manufacturer than the original will only be a MATCH at best. That isn't a value judgement, but that's what it is.

May 4, 2015
It's one of the reasons I just can't wrap my head around people going bananasandwiches over the Balkan Sobranie - You can tell them until you're red in the face that it's just a Balkan like many others with a sticker on it, but they WAAAAANT that sticker.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
What? What? Orlik is opting to pick up Dunhill blends after making them for years anyway? I think I missed a few turns in this story. Last time I was predicting this -- someone picking up the Dunhill blends as a going concern
WHOA! Russ never said that Orlik WAS opting to pick up the 'Dunhill' blends. He was only responding to someone saying that IF Orlik optied to pick up the 'Dunhill' blends, that they would taste the same, because they already make them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow! So Orlik is hiring Russ to recreate the Dunhill blends? This is BIG news!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
To my mind, any tobacco that's reissued or made by a different manufacturer than the original will only be a MATCH at best. That isn't a value judgement, but that's what it is.
Not to take the wind out of your sails, but even the original manufacturer faces the same pitfalls of product consistency over time: problems of sourcing suitable leaf, changing processes due to cost cutting, loss of institutional knowledge when employees leave/retire, etc., etc., etc.

It's crazy how two people can read the same thing and come away with totally different conclusions.
220px-Rashomon_poster_2.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's odd. I smoke mainly Dunhill, and their tins are always perfect smoking moisture. Are you talking about flakes or ribbon? I have yet to 'pop' any Dunhill flake tobaccos yet, so my experience is with ribbon cuts. Now Gawith is wetter than wet.
So, it's fine for you! Diff strokes and all. But generally all tobaccos are packed and shipped a bit wetter than is ideal for a smoke. Imagine the hue and cry from those who like to smoke at around 80% RH if the tobacco came in at 65%! Insurrection! And I was talking ribbon or ready rubbed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmmm. I heard from a guy who knows a guy that Russ has secretly bought the entire Dunhill line and will oversee production to get Dunhill back to where it was 25 years ago. (He already owns Orlik)

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Wow! So Orlik is hiring Russ to recreate the Dunhill blends? This is BIG news!
No, well, you're partly right. I have it on good authority that Russ not only is going to recreate the Dunhill blends, but he bought Orlik and McClellend and a 15 million acre farm to grow his own Virginias and a ketchup factory to recreate the McC Va flavor and quality.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I heard that Russ is going to start a whole new line of match blends for the McClelland match blends of Dunhill blends!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jp, I smoke Dunhill Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls fairly often and every tin I have opened has the tobacco at the perfect humidity level for my tastes( I like a little moisture). In comparison to Samuel Gawith flakes like Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James the Dunhill is dry as a bone. I could see the SG being up there but 80% is still a number that I cannot wrap my head around. Are you measuring these with some type of device?

May 4, 2015
Not to take the wind out of your sails, but even the original manufacturer faces the same pitfalls of product consistency over time: problems of sourcing suitable leaf, changing processes due to cost cutting, loss of institutional knowledge when employees leave/retire, etc., etc., etc.
Doesn't take the wind out of my sails at all - in fact, I think it further illustrates the point. If something is good as its current iteration, fantastic. It's not like we should expect things to remain the same over time regardless of who is making it or where.

Status
Not open for further replies.