PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Padre my Grandfather had a bottle of Ezra Brooks for use when he had a cold, seems like he had a cold all year LOL, it's a good liquor and I still drink it to this day and I don"t have a cold. LOL He also made cherry bounce with it, we picked wild cherries along the fence rows and filled a couple Ezra bottles with cherries and liquor, really very good.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
Woodford Reserve is a great bourbon that can be found decently cheap a lot of places. Its one of my favorites.

bbarnes

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Mississippi
I grabbed a bottle of Woodford over the weekend. VERY nice. I also got a bottle of Jameson. Not bad at all but I much prefer the flavours of a bourbon. It will be sitting in the back of the cabinet next to my Johnnie Walker Black.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I had a dinner party Saturday and a friend brought me a bottle of the Woodford Double Oaked, so we did a side by side with the Reserve. The Double Oaked is just that, a good dose of charred oak. Fascinating, but I could see where some folks might not enjoy it. Not your typical bourbon.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Used to prefer George Dickel over Black Jack, that I think was a sour mash, but I've fallen wayyyyy behind the times in keeping up with brands of whiskey. Also had MM, Rebel Yell, JB, Wild Turkey, but can't say that I remember any being dramatically different.
Had to give it up because of the sugar content.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Woodford Reserve - Neat, (with a little bit of a different spin)....I like to put the bottle in the freezer. Comes out ice cold and goes down real smoooooth.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I gave up on Jack when they started watering it down. Makers Mark tried the same thing and customers complained, back to high test they went.
I drink:

Evan Williams

Wild Turkey
I'd like to try Buffalo Trace from the recs here.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I like to try new things. Went on a camping trip and brought a bottle of Jim Beam Honey.
It was delicious. Definitely a drink for someone looking for some honey'd sweetness. It's really nice. Nice enough to always keep it around now.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
From high to low pricing.
My favorite by far if it can be had is George T. Stagg
Next is Bookers Bourbon
Then 4 Roses Single Barrel
Lastly for a tasty reasonable dram Buffalo Trace is quite incredible for the price.

B

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Finally opened my bottle of Noah's Mill the other day. 114.3 proof! It was good, but definitely a sippin bourbon. Pretty strong.
Found it suspicious that the bottle claimed it was "aged to perfection" but I couldn't find anywhere how old it was. Most bourbons advertise that kind of thing.

marconbass

Lurker
Jun 16, 2013
Chicago, IL USA
My favorite is a small batch that is really hard to find: Black Maple Hill 14 year old

I've always got a bottle of Woodford and a bottle of Makers handy as well.

Lately I've been getting into Rye and really like the Templeton Rye

http://www.templetonrye.com/home/

as well as Bulliet's Rye

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Eagle Rare is my go to bourbon, Buffalo Trace is a close second. I don't drink much bourbon when the weather turns hot. Bourbon is best on winter evenings in front of the fireplace along with a bowl. I switch to gin & tonic in the summer; can't take chances during the malaria season!

Aug 14, 2012
I drank Old Granddad as a college kid, out of the bottle. Once I had a real Job, George Dickel. Then Jack, but that was 50 years ago. It was a different whiskey back then, and was very hard to get. Did anyone read about when the distillery leaked into the local river and all the fish died? Now my stomach can't handle bourbon any more. So it is J Walker Double Black (preferred) Black label (tolerated--it is not consistent) Chivas 12 or McCallums, I think it is called. All neat or with 1-2 ice cubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.