PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
There is a Breckenridge Distillery Whiskey that is outrageously out of hand, but it's around $50+ dollars per bottle... but then there is a $12 bottle called Rebel Yell that isn't as good, but is still outrageously delicious.
Both highly suggested. (note: prices may be wrong, haven't been in America in 1.5 years).

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
A very nice bourbon to try is Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel. It is a Buffalo Trace product. Very smooth...lots of complex flavor, no hot finish. Also, the price is very reasonable for a select single barrel product.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jack mostly; Makers Mark from time to time; but lil' ole Evan Williams is perfectly fine.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
FYI mso
Is Jack Daniel's a bourbon?
Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing – that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.
+1 on Evan Williams, great budget bourbon. YUM :clap:

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
was going to post Evan Williams, and was going to post that jack isn't a bourbon, but I see you've already done that

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
This factoid always starts a fight but here goes...Knob Creek Bourbon is the identical mash bill (recipe) as Jim Beam. The difference between Jim Beam Black Label and Knob Creek is age. Black Label is aged 8 years and Knob Creek is 9 years.

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
FYI for whiskey fans...Tennessee has recently changed their laws in reference to distilling of spirits. As such, multiple new distilleries have opened up. Two soon-to-be-made labels to keep a close watch out for are Chattanooga Whiskey and Belle Meade Bourbon. Both of these offerings are currently made out of state but plans are currently underway to build distilleries in Tennessee.
There are also a butt load (thats a scientific unit of measure) of new "legal moonshine" distilleries popping up, especially near Gatlinburg. The one with the most recognized name right now is Smokey Mountain Moonshine. Their "Apple Pie" Shine is pretty darn good.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I never considered myself a bourbon guy (hell I'm new to scotch due to you guys) but I just cracked open a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch and liked it a lot. Enjoyed it neat. Looking forward to trying it with a cube.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Simple. Wild Turkey 101. The rye is even better. Neat, of course.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
There is something about a bottle with melting wax that appeals to me. I'm an Irish Whiskey drinker though and would rather buy black bush than any other brand but given the relationship between bourbon and irish whiskey bourbon is a nod to my ulster scot U.S friends!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Another vote for Bulleit.
Jack, as stated above, isn't a bourbon. But I've always been a fan. I'll admit that Jack Honey has become my daily drink. Seems I'm not the only one. Love the stuff. I'm about an hour from the distillery but have never been :eek: Guess I need to make it over there one of these days.
Jim Beam is made so far north that you could throw a baseball and hit Ohio.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
There is a whiskey maker in Utah called High West.

Although this blend is no longer available they made one called Bourye which was the best thing that ever was....

The new Son of Bourye is not the same.

The Double Rye is however damn fine as well.

They make several offerings including a Silver oat vodka and most all are highly advised....
Until later
SC

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
The only bourban whisky I've had is Buillet, which I love, I've boughten a couple bottles before.

Status
Not open for further replies.