PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I dont drink much, when I do I drink jack, not sayin it's the best but its cheap and it's everywhere. I heard of one that made me curious a while back. I think it was Kevin who posted about it, it was a liqour made with Perq or tastes like Perq, anyone have any ideal what I'm talking about?

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Love all dark liquor. JD is not my favorite but worked there one summer. Loaded trucks with boxes for decent pay. Made friends and they gave me a 30 year old reserve bottle. Was Mothers milk to me. Can't touch the regular stuff now.

seaninkitale

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
I have to say that Jim Beam is my choice, but then again, it is all I have tried. I think that my choices are limited here in Kenya. I have other options, but the Beam is the most affordable.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
On account of all you scoundrels I went and bought some Buffalo Trace. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to liquer.
Its pretty tasty. Nice and light. I drink it neat but I think it would be a great mixer. The flavor wouldn't get lost.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Buffalo Trace, Maker's, Woodford... I have a hard time picking favorites. Recently tried some Old Grandad and liked that too.

Oh, and neat. I do like the occassional Manhattan (what else would Old Crow be for?), but straight bourbon and scotch will always be my favorite drinks.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
+1 Woodford Reserve
2013-04-17-2007301-366x600.jpg

bbarnes

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Mississippi
Wild Turkey 101 is my go-to drink. I also enjoy Knob Creek and Gentleman Jack. Always neat...always. I'm definitely gonna try Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace now though!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
So a buddy of mine works at a BBQ and Whiskey bar. Well tonight I asked him to try some different Bourbons, mind you the only borboun I've tried is Wild Turkey 101 and rare breed didn't like either. I had ordered a Derby (pretty much a margarita with Bourbon instead of Tequila), it was good and the borboun shined through so I asked him what it was, Buffalo Trace was his answer. I told him I had heard good things and wanted to try so he brought me a full shot for free an I sipped it and enjoyed it. He then said hey come over to the end of the bar and I'll show you some good Borboun...me, "ok I guess :) " he poured me three shots and said this is the best Borboun in the world. He pointed to the first Pappy Van Winkle 12 year, the second Pappy Van Winkle 15 year, the third Pappy Van Winkle 23year. He said by the time you make it to the third you won't want any other Borboun...too bad he was right! That 23 year was beautiful the aroma was like eggnog and I honestly can't describe the taste but the finish was long and almost tasted of Caramelized sugar or meringue. He the. Told me its about $350 a bottle and its about a 2 year wait list for said bottle. The good news is he's able to order some for himself and is going to be in contact when it comes in to the restaurant. Needless to say I'm tainted now and the Wild Turkey 101 that I hated before will now taste like the devils asshole to me. Praise good friends and good Borboun. Haha I was going to correct my misspelling of Bourbon several times but it seems fitting at my level of drunkness.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Buffalo Trace is a great drink (about $20 a fifth here) for the price, but if I am going to have a good Bourbon for a special occasion it's going to be Bookers.
Funny story, friend of mine that served on the Submarine with me is a Pastor now, and presided over my wedding last year. All he asked for in payment was a bottle of Bookers... God Bless him...
Good Whiskey though.. I'll have the Jameson 12year... LOVE that stuff
NEAT..never more than 2 Cubes...ever...

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I'm in PA, and most of the liquor stores are run by the state, so all the offerings are the same
I drink all my bourbon neat, or in a manhattan. I make them myself and make sure the bourbon is the dominant ingredient/flavor :D
Buffalo Trace is about $23. I like it straight and neat. Tried it in a manhattan once, didn't like it
Woodford reserve is fantastic (wish I made enough $ for that to be my everyday)
Wild Turkey 101 was my 1st favorite. I've also had the Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit, both very good.
Jefferson, Elijah Craig 12yr single barrel, Blanton's are all very good
I do enjoy some Jim Beam Devil's cut, but for the price, I'd rather buy something else. Interesting how they make it.
I just went down to Delaware (no tax!) and found some new bourbons to try: Two Star (pretty good, under $20). I have yet to try the Noah's Mill or Hancock Reserve (I might just have to open one of those tonight, reading this has made me thirsty!)
4 roses is ok. I've been wanting to try Angel's Envy for awhile now.
Not to get off-topic, but what's your favorite tobacco/bourbon pairing? I don't really enjoy drinking bourbon with a pipe all the time, I feel like it makes me drool too much. And then, I'm always re-lighting because I take my time enjoying the bourbon, and the pipe goes out. I do enjoy a nice glass after a pipe tho

shaan

Lurker
Jan 28, 2013
For me my staples are Evan or Early times (not a bourbon I know but my wife likes it) that with an LNF and I'm gold.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm not a bourbon drinker, but my brother in law is. For Christmas I got him a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Reserve on the recommendation of the guy working at the liquor store. When brother in law unwrapped it he insisted on sharing, and I gotta say it was pretty darn nice.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I am so glad to hear so many of you like Ezra Brooks. I've seen so many negative comments about it elsewhere, probably the kindest being "if you've got to drink cheap bourbon, Ezra is the best," that I almost felt embarrassed to be seen buying it.
But I really like it; it's sweet and mellow, and the best part is that when I open the bottle, it smells just like my Frog Morton Cellar!

Status
Not open for further replies.