PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No. I like full flavor and open draw.
In my practiced experience, the balsa inserts do not diminish flavor to an objectionable level.
And when used in a pipe that is made for them, they do not appreciably impede a normal draw. If, however, you like sucking down an entire bowl in one fell swoop, then you should leave the balsa out.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
No not all Europeans like them,I am English and I dont.
I found they restricted the draw and once I got the hang of drying my tobacco and smoking slowly tongue bite is not an issue to me.
I got rid of all my 9mm pipes and wont buy another.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No,I am European and I dont.
I found they restricted the draw and once I got the hang of drying my tobacco and smoking slowly tongue bite is not an issue to me.
I got rid of all my 9mm pipes and wont buy another.

What do people find objectionable about smoking a "filter" pipe (6mm, 9mm) without a "filter"?

Reactions: Winnipeger

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
i find the draw is then to open for my liking,and yes I know you can get adaptors but that is then another thing to remove and clean.
Better for me to use a non filtered pipe
Others may disagree
Exactly the reason why I bought a Savinelli 'Tre' 321(filterless). It's fine though if some enjoy more with a filter, just not for me.

Last edited:

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I started pipe smoking in 1996. I never used filters and, to my shame, despised (only in my mind) people who did.
In February 2019 I was diagnosed an illness whir required medication which caused a very dry mouth. I had to quit until a friend (who is a physician) suggested 9mm filter pipes. Since I had a few (on which I used adaptors) I gave them a try and found they were easier on my mouth. I am really happy I made this "discovery". Now I only smoke filtered pipes (and I have a few dozen non filtered ones which I love). Only in the case of certain tobaccos (G&H Balkan mix) I find filters retract very much form the flavor. Lesson learned: to each his own, and a bit of humility before judging others even if the judgement is kept to myself.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I started pipe smoking in 1996. I never used filters and, to my shame, despised (only in my mind) people who did.
In February 2019 I was diagnosed an illness whir required medication which caused a very dry mouth. I had to quit until a friend (who is a physician) suggested 9mm filter pipes. Since I had a few (on which I used adaptors) I gave them a try and found they were easier on my mouth. I am really happy I made this "discovery". Now I only smoke filtered pipes (and I have a few dozen non filtered ones which I love). Only in the case of certain tobaccos (G&H Balkan mix) I find filters retract very much form the flavor. Lesson learned: to each his own, and a bit of humility before judging others even if the judgement is kept to myself.
Can you describe “easier”. How does it help you? I like them too, although I used to use paper Grabow filters now I like 6 and 9mm filters.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
What do people find objectionable about smoking a "filter" pipe (6mm, 9mm) without a "filter"?
Personally, the extra cleaning. A lot of moisture and junk gets trapped in there that just doesn't evaporate. Have to break it down after every smoke and take a cotton swab or something to the void in the stem. Using those plastic adapter things doesn't help.

Otherwise, I don't have an issue not using a filter with a filter pipe. My Sav is a 6mm filter pipe and my Lorenzetti is a 9mm filter pipe, and I don't use filters with them. But I'd prefer to not have any more filter pipes. My Chacom doesn't need to be broken down after every smoke to clean, nor does my Peterson spigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.