PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Crash - thanks and I did tell her it was for the betterment of mankind. Still no joy.
I messed up a photo tag and didn't get the horizontal cross section pic up, so here it is:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, so here's my waste of time. I was also doing this highly scientific exploration under the "dread" of scorn of SWMBO!
Here's me, engaged in the data generation stage of the process:

97D164C1EA4610A62B812001D_edit-vi.jpg

And here's the balsa as it came out of the pipe, after a bowl of GH Brown Flake Licorice:

47C79463699D1F7E1DDA82F75_edit-vi.jpg

An unused Savinelli balsa bit on the left, the used on the right:

AD4E14DD49AC8E64276DB6641_edit-vi.jpg

Use balsa:

_MG_9756_edit-vi.jpg

Cross section: Used balsa:

_MG_9759_edit-vi.jpg

Cross section: Unused balsa on the left, used on the right:

_MG_9769_edit-vi.jpg

Cross section: Closer view of the used balsa:

_MG_9759_edit-vi.jpg

End views: Bowl end on the left, stem end on the right:

_MG_9779_edit-vi.jpg

Observations while smoking:

-No gurgle, despite the temperature hovering just above freezing.

-Flavor reduced a bit, but not to an objectionable level.

-Reduced impression of nicotine.
Observations of the used balsa bit:

-Wet, almost to the core.

-Visibly darker and yellow, more pronounced on the outside.

-Pores in the balsa cross section are significantly darker. Perhaps smoke passes through these pores?
Conclusions:

The Savinelli Balsa System Natural Absorbent Insert functions primarily to absorb moisture, and does an excellent job of it. Along with the moisture, some components of smoke also get absorbed into the balsa through the exterior. Pores in the balsa also appear to channel smoke and to absorb moisture and components of smoke. The composition of these components is unknown.
It would appear that there may be some filtering going on in the pores/channels of the balsa, but the vast majority of moisture and smoke component removal is occurring through absorption, not filtration.
So I'm tentatively backing off on my assertion that the balsa doesn't filter, but sticking with my claim that the balsa primarily works like a sponge.
This was fun!

Reactions: crazyhog

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Just say Nyet to the pipe filter! Sure, it will absorb moisture first, but everything else as well.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"And: The pipe is supposedly made out of oak used in wine barrels. My guess is white oak."
From wiki...
"In France, both the Quercus robur (common oak) and Quercus petraea (white oak) are considered apt for wine making, however, the latter is considered far superior for its finer grain and richer contribution of aromatic components like vanillin and its derivates"
Barrels in common Oak are usually thicker, if the pipe is made from wood used in a wine barrel it's likely that.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I was also doing this highly scientific exploration under the "dread" of scorn of SWMBO!
LOL! That's funny.
I kind of moved to the middle in my conclusion too (good life lesson here, I swear). Interestingly - I personally think the 6 mm balsa filters work better than the 9mm ones and the pics appear to back that feeling up.
Also interestingly, I searched the net for pics before I cut into my filter and couldn't find any. I'm amazed tha no one has done this yet - so we probably did a service to the pipe smoking community today, which makes it all totally worth it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
On the cutting edge here, dread. We'll be quoted in all of the pipe tobacco industry research journals, I'm sure.

Thanks for the challenge. I always like it when I have to reconsider my assumptions!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Does that pipe impart a noticeable flavor to the tobacco?
(FWIW, I always refer to the balsas as "absorbers" because I do not believe they meet the definition of filtration, either.)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Does that pipe impart a noticeable flavor to the tobacco
Aldecaker, when I first got the pipe, I smoked a bowl of very light Virginia and did notice a flavor. Subsequently, I only smoked Den Kongelige Livgarde, a My Own Blend creation by the great Lasse Berg. It's an aromatic, with flavors similar to what the pipe was imparting. I could taste the Livgarde in the GH Brown Flake Licorice today, although I couldn't really detect any licorice, per se.

_MG_1878-vi.jpg

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Never would have guessed sick a simple question would have evoked such an uproar. As previously stated, I will be ordering some wooden filters in the 9mm size as soon as I place another order. Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: crazyhog

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Wow, cool little experiment and observation woodsroad.

I would have responded that the balsa doesn't actually filter (my impression from using them occasionally), but I guess I was wrong.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
This wasn't an uproar - it was a pretty mature back and forth with everyone learning something. I wouldn't get into an uproar with Dan in any event. I've known him online for several years now and like him too much.
That Tim guy, though, now he's a different story . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.