PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Metal stingers are often referred to as filters but of course they are nothing of the sort as they don't filter anything...they just aid the condensing of moisture in the smoke.
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The only particulates removed by the balsa bits are those bound up in moisture that end up sticking to it. Same with nicotine. The rest goes right past the balsa.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
That's just not right - it reduces both very significantly. I know this from experience, and to the OP give it a shot and decide for yourself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dread-
Why not cut a few used filters in half and post a photo of the results side by side with a fresh filter?
I don't use filters very much, but when I do, they are balsa, and I dry them out and stow them away.
They may trap some incidental tar or nic as it passes by the "filter" but it's not a filter in the true sense. True, marketing has us referring to them as such, but that's careless usage.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Haha - I was totally thinking of doing that, and now I HAVE to do it. May take me a while, it's too cold to smoke outside and my garage man cave is taken over by moving boxes at the moment. But standby, I'm gonna do it now!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
22BF0446AB0BA5468A74FFA7F_edit-vi.jpg

Tobacco: Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Licorice

Pipe: Mr. Brog 9mm No. 28 Vinewood
Let's see how this goes!
(I deleted the previous photo because the Savinelli 611ks takes the smaller, triangular balsa sticks)

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
So I couldn't resist the good idea to do a cross section of a Savinelli filter. I had a 6mm filter from a few weeks ago - single use - that was dry. I did a comparison with an unused filter. The tobacco was Lane Limited Ready Rubbed.
Looking at the photos, it is pretty clear that the tar does not filter into the balsa wood, though there is an awful lot of tar on the outside of the filter. Also, sucking on the balsa does not draw the same as sucking on a 9mm Charcoal filter. Sorry, no pictures of my mug doing that. But it does draw. When I do t use a filter there is a strong and long lasting tobacco aftertaste in my mouth, which my wife is more than ready to remind me of. When I use a charcoal filter, there is virtually no aftertaste, and when I use a Savinelli filter there is somewhere between half and a third of the filterless aftertaste. Seeing the physical evidence of tar on the filter and knowing this experience, I (non-scientifically) determined that the filters remove tar, though I don't know how much. I don't have a baseline for how much tar is in a smoke, though that is an assload more tar than was ever held by a cigarette filter that I'd smoked (yes, assload is a scientific term).
What is most telling to me is the very significant yellowing of the filter - that is mostly nicotine left in there after the filter dried. I can also tell you, if I get too much nicotine, my face turns red. It does not do that when using a Savinelli filter, so I know from both the visual evidence and my experience (again anecdotal and non-scientific)that it is drawing off a significant amount of nicotine.
Now, Savinelli claims to have used two independent testing companies which determined that the filters remove "up to" 77% of the nicotine and 91% of the tar. Note the control of language on the site - the claim isn't removes, but rather up to. So you don't know the circumstances. Still, it is obviously removing both tar and nicotine, from both a visual and experiential standpoint. Another bonus, as stated above, is that tongue bite is virtually eliminated while maintaining flavor.
As with all things opined upon in these illustrious digital pages of pipedom, YMMV. But the filters are good to go and effective for me.
On to the pics:
The filters, side by side.

A close up, note the uniform yellowing, but also the spotty tar deposits, the latter demonstrating the absorbing discussion from above:

Some close ups:

And some cross sections. One cut perpendicularly, one cut horizontally, both showing a lot of nicotine discoloration inside the balsa, but no tar discoloration:

I will conclude with 2 points: as with all things pipe, it is an individual experience and your own subjective view is the most important. So try things out if they interest you and see for yourself. These pages are filled with people who are more than happy to tell you the way it is from their perspective as though it were the gospel, and as with everything, it is never always that. My own opinions included.
Second, my wife is immeasurably pissed at me for spending all of this time with a nasty used filter and writing this up. So . . . gotta go!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
And it doesn't come across well in the light and my lousy cell phone pics, but the used filter is a lot yellower on the cross sections.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I've only ever tried those German coal filters but to me they seemed to steal away massively from the taste of the tobacco.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
"Could it not be white oak stained? [:)]
[:crazy:] "
Nothing at all to do with the color. I say Red Oak because of the length of the rays and the open tyloses. You know what I'm talking about?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heck, I was only funnin'. When I lived in NY State, we had red and white oak, both made good firewood. I am not a woodworker, though I wish I had been.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Sure both are great firewood but I find Red Oak smells and tastes(I've smoked out of it) like cat piss. White Oak however smells faintly of vanilla and cherry to me when cutting/burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.