PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
I’m just going to guess that I have around 40-50 pounds cellared currently. I’m also going to guess that I’m somewhere around 10-15 pounds English/ Balkan blends with SPC being the bulk of that followed by several pounds of Margate/ Pembroke/ASTB. Around 25-30 pounds of Virginia and VaPer blends. And a few aromatics here and there and a few burley blends here and there.

I thought I had a strategy, but I’m still buying stuff here I’ve never had before.

Huge shocker for me as someone who prefers mostly straight Virginia and VaPers…. But I’m actually smoking through a can of Granger at the moment and enjoying it. I really didn’t care for anything burley starting out a few years ago, but looks like it will be finding a small spot in my cellar after all.

Only real strat I have right now is trying to get my hands on more Virginia flake to age and to buy a few tins of limited release stuff… if I don’t like it, can hopefully trade for something I love that’s hard to get in the future.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I think I have maybe 20 pounds or so in total. At a couple bowls a day, I’m not smoking it fast enough to worry about running out, and I feel like stocking up on more bulk blends would be kind of gratuitous at this point anyway. I’m gonna smoke what I got, and if I run out and tobacco’s been outlawed along with bacon, salt, sugar, and coffee, then so be it.

Somebody else in this thread made a comment about wine that they wish they’d uncorked a long time ago and cigars that they wish they’d smoked earlier, and that’s a pretty good summary of how I *don’t* want to feel with 800 lbs of decades old tobacco in the basement or whatever.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Glad I stuck to a consistent shape.... Pete 05. (There’s only minute chamber differences between it and the XL11, 305 and XL315) The only time difference will be due to the cut, but even then it’s minimal since I run out Flake, and cut and rub plug.
So my estimates on tobacco use are pretty consistent. Don’t have to plan on “what if I smoke X pipe, versus Y pipe).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have no strategy just bought tobacco I fell in love with and I’m really just guessing how much tobacco I have but in the spirit of this thread I’d say I have about 300 to 350 pounds of tobacco (way too much for me). I’ve been stocking up slowly since 2010 and got carried away with it when I joined this forum in 2016. I would have way less if I didn’t partake in forums.

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
This is a question and problem I thought through last Fall when our wonderful authorities were voting on taxing pipe tobacco at an insane level. Prior to last Fall I had been buying a tin or two at one time and smoking those through without thinking of a cellar. But seeing the writing on the wall about pipe tobacco I decided to stock up.

With my present situation in life I dont smoke more than twice a month (more in the winter, less in the summer). So I calculated how long does it take me to go through a 2 oz tin? From that I determined how many ounces I would just need per year and multiplied that by how many years of life I think I may have. And like magic I had my number, but also decided to get some more bulk blending and have just begun to try my hand at home blending.

In total I have about 3lbs. I know not a lot, but it suits what I need and helps me live by the truth of “do not store up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust (and mold) destroy…”

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I'm at 19lbs. With 56% of that being virginias, 15% burleys, 19% aromatics and 10% latakias. Finally set up an actual spreadsheet for all of this the other night so it's easy to check the weights. I'm still a spring chicken so the vast majority of that <200g of different blends, thankfully I've managed to hone in on what I like so I don't have too many bunk blends I didn't care for.

In the future I plan on building the cellar out deeper rather than the width it is now. Going heavy into favorites like Capstan Blue Flake, some of the Rattrays if I can find it or stomach the Esterval's shipping charge, some of the Gawith bulks etc.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This is a question and problem I thought through last Fall when our wonderful authorities were voting on taxing pipe tobacco at an insane level. Prior to last Fall I had been buying a tin or two at one time and smoking those through without thinking of a cellar. But seeing the writing on the wall about pipe tobacco I decided to stock up.

With my present situation in life I dont smoke more than twice a month (more in the winter, less in the summer). So I calculated how long does it take me to go through a 2 oz tin? From that I determined how many ounces I would just need per year and multiplied that by how many years of life I think I may have. And like magic I had my number, but also decided to get some more bulk blending and have just begun to try my hand at home blending.

In total I have about 3lbs. I know not a lot, but it suits what I need and helps me live by the truth of “do not store up for yourself treasures on earth, where moth and rust (and mold) destroy…”
Only smoke twice a month... surprised you don't forget how. puffy

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Hello everyone, just curious if you had to guess, how many ounces/pounds of tobacco do you have cellared? Did you have a strategy behind that amount? Just thinking about my own cellar and how much I want to have set aside in case prices get ridiculous. Thanks for any input.
Cellar deep, many blends are not made anymore and the value of $ is headed downhill. The politico drum beat about guns may well affect tobac purchase in the near future !

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
According to my Pipetool.com spreadsheet, 63 pounds plus maybe 8 more I never entered. Over 50 pounds are tins I see on Pipestud's site every week that I can't bring myself to open, so it's likely going to be sent there. I only smoke in warm weather and only what is currently available. I buy more than I smoke and this has been going on for 20 + years. I used to think it was a frivolous waste of money. Heh.