PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Uno, Folklore, Eight State Burley.
KBV Scare o Matic, it’s a licorice cream aro.

Looking forward to trying Edisto, Atalaya, and of course Carolina Red Flake.

I’m really interested in C&D’s new Perique they’re sourcing.

I fell in love hard with Kentucky dark fired this year which was a pleasant surprise, my only experience with it was with cigars that tasted like BBQ. I tried ODF and it has wisps of the BBQ flavor and kind of wrote off the leaf.
Then I tried some GH stuff and Cumberland and said ok, more dark fired please. Enter well aged Jack Knife Plug and mind blown. Deep, Earthy, and rich flavors, no BBQ.
What did you think of Abberant?

And I hope some of that GH stuff was Dark Flake Unscented if you like dark fired.

Reactions: Steddy

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Deep, Earthy, and rich flavors, no BBQ.

If you like DFK and don't want any BBQ you could also tried Warped Until the End. Whatever grade of DFK they're using is a lot different from the standard stuff. Not really smoky its more earthy with no bbq notes. That blend is on the mild side but the smoke it produces is thick and creamy, good stuff.

Reactions: vosBghos and seanv

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
If you like DFK and don't want any BBQ you could also tried Warped Until the End. Whatever grade of DFK they're using is a lot different from the standard stuff. Not really smoky its more earthy with no bbq notes. That blend is on the mild side but the smoke it produces is thick and creamy, good stuff.
I appreciate the suggestion!

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
2022 was a big year of sampling for me. 1000+ hours of overtime gave me countless chances for commuter smoking sessions and the extra $$$ to fund them! I’ve stumbled across plenty of new blends and blenders to keep me occupied. Some honorable mentions would be Country Squire Northwest Trek and Figgy Pudding, Boswells Countryside, and Wilke Crystal Palace and #400. Sun Bear was pretty nice this year, but for some reason Palmetto Balkan didn’t wow me. All in all it was a great smoking year, can’t wait to see what I come across in 2023.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I started pipes this year so everything was new. My top 3 so far are “Macbarren HH Old DarkFired”, GLP Haddo’s Delight” and “Seattle Pipe Club Hogshead”. When I first started I took the general advice for beginners and got a mild aromatic, I didn’t like it at all! 😂 almost made me stick to cigars. Glad I tried some other things! As a beginner, I don’t think I agree with this advice. I think I’d start beginners with a mild Virginia perhaps.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tough question. Before last week I would have said Dorchester because that is the first Va/Per that really got me going. However, LJP Royal may take top honors, few more days left to lock it in.
Hard to argue with Dorchester, an excellent lightly topped Vaper. If you liked it, getting ahold of some Dunbar is also a must. You would likely also enjoy Peacehaven. Easier said than done, but worth the effort.

On a side note, is your handle a reference to the whole Clay Newcombe thing or just random?

Reactions: beargreasediet

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
I've got a couple tins of Dunbar, I'm waiting to crack them, figure a year or two can't hurt.

Not inspired by Clay Newcombe but I'm guessing we may have come across similar accounts from early American explorers, and their interactions with earlier Americans.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
It’s been a long time since I cracked a tin in the same year I purchased it, but the Low Country guys threw a tin of Anthology on the table at pipe club a few days before the release and I knew it was a winner from that bowl. I bought a bunch for the cellar and opened one right away. So, that’s my “new for 2022” winner. Otherwise, I tried G&H Coniston Cut Plug for the first time and kicked myself for not trying it sooner. Last, I opened my first tin of C&D Interlude from 2017 and fell in love! Deeply underrated simple red VA. It was a great tobacco year - here’s to an even better 2023!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Possibly the most enjoyable this year happens to be the mixture I've just started smoking the last couple of days. I recently got around to trying Marlin Flake for the first time...popped a tin that was a few years old. I was mostly disappointed. Really super moist stuff...takes long drying time...and just not enough Perique...barely noticeable...and I have a hard time getting much out of Virginias by themselves.

So I tried mixing the MF 50/50 with OJK. Turned out better than I dared hope...seems like more than the sum of its parts. Added a dimension to the OJK and slows its burn down a bit.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Possibly the most enjoyable this year happens to be the mixture I've just started smoking the last couple of days. I recently got around to trying Marlin Flake for the first time...popped a tin that was a few years old. I was mostly disappointed. Really super moist stuff...takes long drying time...and just not enough Perique...barely noticeable...and I have a hard time getting much out of Virginias by themselves.

So I tried mixing the MF 50/50 with OJK. Turned out better than I dared hope...seems like more than the sum of its parts. Added a dimension to the OJK and slows its burn down a bit.
PS: Oh yeah, there's supposedly black cavendish in the MF too, but I got very little flavor out of it until I added the OJK. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: beargreasediet

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though I'm letting it age, maybe C&D Eight State Burley on which I splurged for two tins. jiminks gave it a good review, and I am a burley smoker first. It's an interesting combination of some aged tobaccos and others of more recent seasons.

Old favorites this year have included C&D Bayou Night, and the same tobaccos in different proportion, Mountain Camp. They are a good lesson in how proportions can make the same tobaccos completely different blends.