You May Say I’m a Reamer, Am I the Only One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't clean out the chambers of your pipes so rigorously that you remove the carbon layer. You want that to insulate the briar itself. I just scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel. That prevents cake, which I choose not to build, but maintains a carbon layer and the diameter of the chamber.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
Recognize this reamer? It's been around for years and you can still buy them. I have one I use all the time, but it's a little different from the new ones. It looks the same at first glance but there is a difference. I picked up mine about 20 years ago with a pipe collection I bought. It had been a gift to the owner and he never used it, so it was new in the box. If you compare it to a new one you can tell the workmanship is better and (I suspect) the steel is better. The cool thing about it is it was made in the U.S.A. back in the 1950s. puffy

View attachment 144264
Same, but bought mine new in the 70s.

Reactions: FLDRD

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Isn't it from Reamin' in the Years?

You've been telling me you're a reamer since you were 17
In all the time I've known you I still don't know what you mean

Reactions: dctune and paulfg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Bertha ! 5mm per second :

Yeah, what a clusterfuck that whole thing was. This quote from the article sums it up perfectly:

"Only in bonkers, leftist Seattle would an absurdly stupid project that's massively behind schedule and over cost be considered a success,"

Reactions: Hillcrest

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
"Only in bonkers, leftist Seattle would an absurdly stupid project that's massively behind schedule and over cost be considered a success,"

Oh I dont know
the Elizabeth line,a new line on the London Undergroud just opened about 3 years late and many times over budget
Another great success?

Reactions: SaxonX
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
For a minute there I thought this thread was going to turn into a famous water flush vs. non water flush thread.

I seem to be in the same school as mso and many others. Paper towel after a smoke and I'm good. Keeps the cake at bay and at an optimal thickness (very thin) for me.

Reactions: dctune