You May Say I’m a Reamer, Am I the Only One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I know some of y’all have a romantic relationship with your cake. And I respect it. To each his own. Love the one you’re with. But I find too much cake keeps me from distinguishing the taste of various blends.

Had been using my little Czech spoon to tackle cake, with varying degrees of success. Finally bit the bullet yesterday and plunked down a whole $10 bill on this el cheapo reamer. Took me all 10 seconds to conclude this is a much superior way of handling things. I’m happy.
B9F40E1C-B3FC-46FB-838A-D182C41B11AB.jpeg

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I have the same reamer. I've used it maybe three times. I usually just towel the interior of the bowl post use.
Yeah, I def had to clean the residue out. After gently reaming, I turned the pipe over and dumped out what looked like a teaspoon of ground coffee. Might throw it in the drip later and see how it brews. Tobaccoffee.

(That’s a joke btw. Felt I needed to clarify. Of course, now I’m expecting one of y’all lunatics to chime in and tell me how you drink a cup of ashes every morning. ?)

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I'll use one of these if I'm restoring a pipe and want to remove the cake back to the wood. The original British Buttner had two advantages over the cheapo copy in the original post. It was made from tool steel and the edges were ground. You can't do much about the copy being stainless steel, but you can take that rotary tool and grind the edges.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm a reaming virgin! Never felt the need to ream, water flush has really been good to me!

But any information on how not to fk it up and a good one to use is greatly appreciated!!
DO NOT use a sharp knife, especially one with with a pointed tip.
It's very easy to notch the rim or put it out of round.

The "spoon" on the Czech tools is often all you will need if there is only a little cake.

Or spend a few dollars getting a simple reamer.
They pop up often on EBay if you don't want a brand new one.

I use a Pipnet as I buy a lot of estate pipes and they come in all conditions.

If you water-flush regularly, use folded over pipe-cleaners or scrunched paper towels to clean your bowls after each smoke, it will be years before you will need to ream. IF ever.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought my Senior Reamer 20 years ago or so and I still use it. I like it because if you are careful and slow cleaning it, the reamer will not make a mess and take chunks off your cake I use it lightly which works best.
I have never tried another brand so I cannot comment on those/. I have heard of others that work good an have seen their shapes. I just think my Senior is more idiot proof which works best for my abilities.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like some others on Forums, I don't build cake. I scoop out the ash and wipe out the bowl with an abrasive paper towel. This maintains a thin carbon layer inside the chamber which is sufficient to prevent burnout. It also minimizes incidental ghosting, and best of all, it maintains the original new-pipe diameter of the chamber.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this to someone who enjoys building cake and using a reamer. I've smoked for decades and I've never owned a reamer. It's just not my way of going. I have the first pipe I ever bought, and its in good shape after all these years, looks good, and smokes great.